Power Outlet Powered By 2 Circuits.. Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Power Outlet powered by 2 circuits.. Help

First off I'm a novice when it comes to electrical wiring.

So my problem is I have 2 rooms in my house that are on separate circuits in the breaker box but I have one outlet that is powered by both circuits and I believe it is causing a short and tripping the breaker.

Room 1 on circuit 1 all outlets have no power with the breaker off. No issues other than when it shorts this is the circuit that goes off.

Room 2 on circuit 2 has one outlet that has power when circuit 2 is off and circuit 1 is on. But also has power with circuit 2 on and circuit 1 off. There is 3 sets of wires running to the power outlet. The white wires are bridged then a pigtail runs to the outlet. The 2 black wire from the bottom and top is bridged with a pigtail and also has a black wire running from the other top wire that is not bridged. Both are connected to the outlet. The ground is bridged and connected to the outlet.

I'm not sure how it should be but I know that is not correct. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by Hawkbizkit; 01-20-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Hawkbizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkbizkit View Post
First off I'm a novice when it comes to electrical wiring.

So my problem is I have 2 rooms in my house that are on separate circuits in the breaker box but I have one outlet that is powered by both circuits and I believe it is causing a short and tripping the breaker.

Room 1 on circuit 1 all outlets have no power with the breaker off. No issues other than when it shorts this is the circuit that goes off.

Room 2 on circuit 2 has one outlet that has power when circuit 2 is off and circuit 1 is on. But also has power with circuit 2 on and circuit 1 off. There is 3 sets of wires running to the power outlet. The white wires are bridged then a pigtail runs to the outlet. The 2 black wire from the bottom and top is bridged with a pigtail and also has a black wire running from the other top wire that is not bridged. The ground is bridged and connected to the outlet.

I'm not sure how it should be but I know that is not correct. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Turn off circuit 2 & 1!
carefully remove the outlet,
repower circuit 1,
Use a non contact tester, find the supply from circuit 1
Turn off circuit 1, remove the wire from the wire nut,
cap it, mark it with pen, leave it removed.(use a wire nut)
reinstal other wires into original wire nut,
turn on room one breaker and test,
turn on room 2 breaker and test.

If you dont feel 100% confident !
Then dont do it !

Advertisement

Last edited by dmxtothemax; 01-20-2013 at 08:10 PM.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

What did you do to notice the problem? Did you replace an outlet? If it was working before, something had to change in order for it to not work now.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
diystephen (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,550

Sounds like possibly the tab needs to be removed from the receptacle that has two circuits feeding it.
joecaption (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

Are both halves of this receptacle unit live when the circuit 1 breaker is on and the circuit 2 breaker is off?

And are both halves of this receptacle unit live when the circuit 2 breaker is on and the circuit 1 breaker is off?

And are all the other receptacles in the room served by circuit 1 dead when circuit 1 is off and circuit 2 is still on?

And are all the other receptacles in the room served by circuit 2 dead when circuit 2 is off and circuit 1 is still on?
Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Are both halves of this receptacle unit live when the circuit 1 breaker is on and the circuit 2 breaker is off?

And are both halves of this receptacle unit live when the circuit 2 breaker is on and the circuit 1 breaker is off?

And are all the other receptacles in the room served by circuit 1 dead when circuit 1 is off and circuit 2 is still on?

And are all the other receptacles in the room served by circuit 2 dead when circuit 2 is off and circuit 1 is still on?
Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes
Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Sounds like possibly the tab needs to be removed from the receptacle that has two circuits feeding it.
I thought that too and I know that would resolve the issue but i want it to be 100% on circuit 2
Old 01-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
What did you do to notice the problem? Did you replace an outlet? If it was working before, something had to change in order for it to not work now.
Yes I replaced the outlet with a new one. But it has always had a problem when the outlet had a load on it. We didn't use it for a while and didn't notice a problem. So it has something to do with it while it was being used.

I have since switched it over to one circuit and I shall see if that resolved the issue.

Advertisement