Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85
Share |

Power Outlet & Power Inlet same box?

I am currently wiring my family room with a 1080P projector. I am looking at protecting it with a UPS using a power inlet found here:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...uctid=28-11096

Since this uses the Decora style wall plate, I was considering saving a little wall space behind the equipment rack and putting both outlets in the same 2 gang outlet box. Other than the ground wires, there would be no direct electrical connection in the box, the idea is a short cord plugs into the inlet and the other end into a surge protector or UPS.

Is this "ok"?

Also, I am looking at probably running a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the Home Theater setup, using 12 gauge wire from the panel to the power "out"let. This is only rated for 15 amps and will only have wire between the inlet and outlet next to the projector. I am assuming this run should also be 12 gauge as well.

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #2

Yes if your going to be running a 20 amp circuit than use 12/2

If you want your projector to be flat against the wall and don't want to show the wires. You can always use something like this. We install these all the time when hanging a tv or what not. All you need is a two gang high/low voltage box.
http://www.amazon.com/Datacomm-Recss..._sim_dbs_hi_18

Last edited by dSilanskas; 10-17-2009 at 07:13 PM.
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #3

No problem. An ordinary (perhaps 12-2 Romex) power feed is connected to the outlet in the box. An ordinary (perhaps 12-2 Romex) continuation cable goes from the inlet up through the wall say to your ceiling mounted projector outlet.

Tie together the grounds but not the neutrals for the outlet power feed and inlet subcircuit.

Even though the UPS might be plugged into that outlet, the loads (such as the projector) served by the inlet are considered not on the same circuit as the loads (such as the UPS) served by the outlet and therefore neutrals are kept separate.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-17-2009 at 07:38 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #4

I can't tell by your post, but if the circuit powering this single receptacle (or any other single receptacle) has nothing else on it, your circuit breaker cannot exceed the rating of the receptacle. That means a 15A breaker.

FYI, remember that a receptacle with provisions to plug in two cords (most common) are duplex receptacles.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:37 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Good to know that this will be ok! Just for clarification, I will be running power to an OUT-let in this box that will be a duplex, and the power IN-let is a single gang that will power either a single or duplex outlet at the projector.

Thanks for all the replies!
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote