Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #1

Share |

power outages

I have a problem that is driving us nuts.

the 21st of july was the 1st time we recorded the power ( just power points,not lights.) going off. Since then there has been a regular pattern(of sorts)mon 21/07 mon 11/08 thurs 14/08 mon 15/09 thurs 18/09 mon 13/10 mon 17/11 thur 27/11 mon 1/12 (ok mon and thur ONLY ) then sat 13/12 sun 14/12 sat 20/12 tues 23/12 wed 24/12 and lastly friday 2 jan ( everything BUT mon thur ).What is going on? We had reason to believe that this is being done to us deliberatly but haveing set up motion detectors and being awake at the time I can find nothing to confirm this.
I would like to Know how someone cauld do this without being near the house. I have set small traps to see if outside points have been tampered with and nothing. I would like to know what people think cauld be causing this. We are being threatened by someone at the moment that is probably to guttless to approach us( he would be in big trouble) so at this stage I am 50/50 as to a random fault or someone. I live in Lynbrook Melbourne Australia if that is a factor.

Jim Mc
jimmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

power outages

Really I suggest that you get ahold of your power company to see what the issue you are having.

I have few electricians in that area and one guy I do get ahold from time to time and he mentions some issue with the POCO system excat what that part I don't know at the moment but the remote circuit breaker for POCO system they did have some issue but other it will varies a bit.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
DIYer

power outages

The power company can set up a device to record outages and surge/sag events. Might take a little convincing to get them to put one on your line though.

One time I had to harrass the power company a lot to get them to fix frequent intermittant outages (of only a few seconds, reclosable) that turned to be some trees in the middle of the forest.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #4

power outages

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Really I suggest that you get ahold of your power company to see what the issue you are having.

I have few electricians in that area and one guy I do get ahold from time to time and he mentions some issue with the POCO system excat what that part I don't know at the moment but the remote circuit breaker for POCO system they did have some issue but other it will varies a bit.

Merci,Marc
I am not even a handyman so I do not understand this But none of my neigbors have this prob. What is a remote circuit breaker?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #5

power outages

[quote=Gigs;206044]The power company can set up a device to record outages and surge/sag events. Might take a little convincing to get them to put one on your line though.

If this is a surge would it not outage the whole house and why such a strange pattern. I am not prepared to discount harrasment. Though I need proof.
Jim Mc
Old 01-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

power outages

Let get few matter stright here .,

If the power do cycle at regular time as you expected then any chace you have dual tariff { rate } metering there ?

Also you mention the lights stay on so I have a hunch that you have something going on with RCD { GFCI to North Americian terms } there is few possblity that it may cover more than I will able listed in here

But let start at basic right now.,,

Do you have electric waterheater cylinder ?

Central Air condtionor unit ?

And what time it do happend ? and how long it stay off ? those answer will show if that was right on shedule { if that the case you will have to get ahold of lineperson to come out and trobleshooting their side } otherwise you will have to get the electrician to come out and test the RCD to make sure it is not interfernced with some type of signal somewhere.

Belive or not but it is true and it did happend to me .,

If you have two way radio and if they are strong enough of signal it can actally trip the RCD { been there and done happend to me }

If you have still having issue let me know I will get ahold of one of my freind he is a lineperson in New Zenland /Aussie area so he may know the situation if he heard about it.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:11 AM   #7

power outages

[quote=frenchelectrican;206072]Let get few matter stright here .,

If the power do cycle at regular time as you expected then any chance you have dual tariff { rate } metering there ?

Thank you for your interest.

The times are not constant except between 5am and 7:10am. The times go (paraphrasing) 5:15 5:20 5:10 6:10 7:10 6:30
6:20 etc i.e not getting later each time.(as in a mecanical timer on a fish tank). We have gas hot water and evaperative cooling.The earth leakage switch has activated so it stays of untill I turn it back on. The dual tarrif sounds good except for the irregularity of the times,also the dates forming a suspect pattern. Is there any way someone cauld have gotten inside(I believe this has happened as someone was caught in the house[He/she left in a hurry]) and set up a remote device to set off by remote controle. I do not discount this sort of thing.

Again thanks for your interest
Jim Mc
Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

power outages

Jim, did you say that only the power points are going out and not the lights?
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #9

power outages

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Jim, did you say that only the power points are going out and not the lights?
That is correct, it is the earth leakage(safety) switch

Jim Mc

Last edited by jimmac; 01-03-2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: add satety
Old 01-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

power outages

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post
That is correct, it is the earth leakage(safety) switch

Jim Mc
Then this isn't a utility problem. This is the internal wiring in your house. Something is wrong otherwise the thing wouldn't trip. If it were a power company problem, then the lights would be effected too.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #11

power outages

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Then this isn't a utility problem. This is the internal wiring in your house. Something is wrong otherwise the thing wouldn't trip. If it were a power company problem, then the lights would be effected too.
Correct, But I beleive that there is at least a fair chance that it is being done remotly by someone. any thoughts as to how this may happen. You know--by remote control.

Jim Mc