Power Outage At Least Once Per Month? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Power outage at least once per month?

I've always wondered what has been causing my power failures here at the house. At least once a month I'll notice that our oven and/or my dishwasher has "PF" on the display screen. I've never been able to tell what it is however recently my wife and I were home watching a movie and bam several lights went out quickly, cable box, tv, av receiver, oven, and iMac all went out. All of the other stuff came back on and if we weren't home we wouldn't have known any of the other stuff going off except for the oven which had "PF" for power failure on the display. The dishwasher did not go off this time.

This was a very quick outage and when the Air conditioner [outside] went out and came back on quickly like the rest of the appliances the A/C was making some awful loud screeching-like noise. I grabbed my flash light and went outside to see what was going on and it stopped right as I stepped out side.

Something to note is that I notice when the A/C kicks on sometimes there's a little lag like it doesn't want to kick on but always has and that sometimes some lights dim a little, not all the time but sometimes.

Can someone tell me what might be the problem and suggest something to look at. I'm not an electrician and won't go probing around the electrical panel unless ALL power is completely and MAIN power is turned off outside where it comes in the house.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what might be the problem? My wife's dad mentioned that it "could" be a possible loose wire going to one of the breakers since it has happened to him and after he tightened it he hasn't had that problem before.

Oh, and I need to mention that these outages only happen to a small section of the house so that tells me it is something within the house.

Advertisement

imola ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

Call the power company first. Then call a qualified electrician if required.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #3

I called the electric company and they said it would be something on my end and that I'd need to get it handled.

I did call my home warranty placed a claim. I've got a guy coming out today or tomorrow. I'll post the findings.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by imola ghost View Post
when the A/C kicks on sometimes there's a little lag like it doesn't want to kick on but always has and that sometimes some lights dim a little, not all the time but sometimes.

Can someone tell me what might be the problem and suggest something to look at.

these outages only happen to a small section of the house so that tells me it is something within the house.
It is almost certainly in your house.

My guess would be an intermittent bad connection at one or more connections upstream of these appliances or at the breakers.

I'd get it fixed soon because the motors in your house are probably being damaged.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #5

Thanks, he's coming out tomorrow morning. I'm "VERY" interested in finding out why this has been happening. This has been going on at least once a month very consistently for the past 4 years. I've never been home before when it happened so I couldn't tell what else went out. I would know we had a power outage because the oven would say "PF" for power failure.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Can you pinpoint it to going out when you have a heavy load kick in?

have you asked your immediate neighbors if they have experienced similar problems?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
Can you pinpoint it to going out when you have a heavy load kick in?

have you asked your immediate neighbors if they have experienced similar problems?

No, I'm not electrician but I would lean towards the A/C if I had to give an educated guess.

I haven't asked but I will bring it up when I see one of them.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Have fun with the HOW people, because they always send the bubba that does not care, and will always mis-diagnose the problem. Save the money by canceling paying on the Warranty, and use that to hire an Electrician that will truly diagnose the problem.

Advertisement

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
J. V. (08-31-2010)