Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Power Outage Issue?

Hi, I am a resident of a Condo community, we had a power outage yesterday and half of the power in my condo went out. The microwave above the oven went out, the oven stayed on, the refrigerator was still on, the living room was out, 1 bedroom was out, AC was out, bathroom and one bedroom were up, hallway/washer/dryer were still on.

What could be the reason for only half of my condo going out, and some items in the kitchen were out but not others? Is it bad wiring? No fuses were blown, and the power came back up within three hours.

In addition, The microwave was down, but the stove/fridge were up, and they reside on the same side of the panel. The AC was down, 1 bedroom was down, 1 bedroom was up, and the AC was down, and they reside on the same side of the panel. This has been happening quite often during electrical storms, and these condos are brand new, about one year old. Other neighbors in the building had the same problem yesterday, half of their power was out, and the same appliances.

THanks in advance

rbjones6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 28

Power Outage Issue?

Sounds like one of the hot leads of the main supply went out. That would make half of the breakers in the panel dead. It is not separated side to side. They alternate down each side.

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Power Outage Issue?

The fact that some of the circuits are on the same side of the panel doesn't mean too much. In a circuit breaker panel, if you start at the top of either side, every other breaker is on the same line. The fact that at least one other resident has the same circuits out as well makes sense since it was probably the same electrical outfit that did the installs.

It sounds like you've lost one of your hot conductors in your service. I thought that this may have been a problem with possibly your main breaker but the fact that you say others are experiencing the same makes it sound like a problem on the utility's service drop/lateral. I'd call your utility and have them check it out.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Power Outage Issue?

Dang Joe! You beat me to the punch!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #5

Power Outage Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbjones6 View Post
Hi, I am a resident of a Condo community, we had a power outage yesterday and half of the power in my condo went out. The microwave above the oven went out, the oven stayed on, the refrigerator was still on, the living room was out, 1 bedroom was out, AC was out, bathroom and one bedroom were up, hallway/washer/dryer were still on.

What could be the reason for only half of my condo going out, and some items in the kitchen were out but not others? Is it bad wiring? No fuses were blown, and the power came back up within three hours.

In addition, The microwave was down, but the stove/fridge were up, and they reside on the same side of the panel. The AC was down, 1 bedroom was down, 1 bedroom was up, and the AC was down, and they reside on the same side of the panel. This has been happening quite often during electrical storms, and these condos are brand new, about one year old. Other neighbors in the building had the same problem yesterday, half of their power was out, and the same appliances.

THanks in advance
As a second possibility, if the lights on the side that worked were very bright I'd look for a bad connection on the neutral, and in that case you are shortening the life of everything that is still powered.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Power Outage Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
As a second possibility, if the lights on the side that worked were very bright I'd look for a bad connection on the neutral, and in that case you are shortening the life of everything that is still powered.
Not what the OP said, and his neighbors had the same problem. He lost a line.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #7

Power Outage Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
Not what the OP said, and his neighbors had the same problem. He lost a line.
I stand corrected.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #8

Power Outage Issue?

I don't live in a condo but I just went through the same problem. Part of the house went dead and the rest was fine. The power company came out and checked and it was a bad connection on the transformer causing a loss of power on one leg of the box. Call the power company or whoever does the electrical maintenance on your unit. The key to knowing if it is a power company issue is that the power goes dead but the breaker DO NOT trip. If the breakers trip, it may be something else. Hope this helps.
kycruiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Power Outage Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycruiser1 View Post
Call the power company or whoever does the electrical maintenance on your unit. ........
Hope this helps.
Well, if you posted this three YEARS ago it may have helped him.

And considering post #3 said pretty much the same thing I think he made out OK.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #10

Power Outage Issue?

Well I really didn't look at the date of his/her post since it seemed to pop up after the one I posted the other day. But it is always nice to hear from a smarta$$ every now and then. Have a nice day speedy tweeter.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #11

Power Outage Issue?

Get used to it.

The only reason it "popped up" is because you posted to it.

It's pretty funny how you can tell the maturity level of someone by how they make fun of someone else's name.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #12

Power Outage Issue?

Well this is not a Topix forum, so I'm not going to go back and forth with this childish action. I made a mistake on a topic, so what? couldn't you just say "This is an old post"? Anyways, move on with life.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #13

Power Outage Issue?

Quote:
Well this is not a Topix forum, so I'm not going to go back and forth with this childish action.

Quote:
I made a mistake on a topic, so what? couldn't you just say "This is an old post"?
Nope. Not my style.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 AM   #14

Power Outage Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post

Nope. Not my style.
I knew there was something about Speedy that I liked

sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote