DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

power new 200amp panel as temporary subpanel from existing 100amp main panel

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  CapeCod153 
#1 ·

Hi. I hope I don't confuse anyone. Our current house has a 100amp main panel that I need to upgrade to 200amp service/new main panel due to a remodel and addition. I have the permits for everything and I am doing my own work including the wiring (I might hire an electrician to switch out the meter/main feed).

I am planning to do the 200amp upgrade last since we are actively working in the house and I need working lighting/outlets. But, the 100amp main panel is full and unless I continuously swap the wires on existing breakers I can't test and put into service any of the new circuits when we need to work in those rooms.

To solve this I installed the new, 200amp, 40 slot panel next to my 100amp main panel. I plan to permanently run all of the new wires into the 200amp panel's new breakers (AFCI included per code) and temporarily setup this 200amp panel like a subpanel. I would power the 200amp panel by connecting an existing 30amp double breaker in the 100amp panel to a new 30amp double breaker in the 200amp panel using 10/3 wire. Through my research I realize the neutral and ground bars on the 200amp panel cannot be bonded while it is setup as a temporary subpanel AND I will only be able to run up to 30 amps at any one time (so most of the new breakers will be off). Right now I don't have any power demand above 20amps.

It seems to me that when I'm ready to have the new meter/main feed installed all I have to do is switch off the 30amp double breaker, disconnect the 100amp panel, rebond the neutral and ground on the 200amp panel and then install the new meter/feed/grounds as necessary.

Question: does anyone see any issues with this or have any comments?

Thanks!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for your reply! Let me ask you 2 more things if you don't mind.

1) I installed a ufer ground when I added the addition's foundation. The inspector only required #8 wire from the rebar to the new panel. Should I install another grounding rod or 2 to ground the new 200amp panel?

2) I've called 3 electrical contractors to give me a price to swap out the meter box, run the new main wires to the 200amp panel and install grounding as necessary. Only 1 returned my call and said they would stop out to take a look, but never did. My guess is due to Hurricane sandy most are really busy and don't have time for such a small job that a DIYer has already purchased the materials.

How hard is it for someone like me to do the above? I've wired the entire house and installed 1 subpanel before but I've never hooked a new panel up, let alone worked on a meter/main feed.

Thanks! Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.