DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Power meter swap

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  stickboy1375 
#1 ·
Hi there,trying to get ideas on power meter swap going from 100 amp to 200. I know the 200 amp is a little bigger. So im not sure how to get the mast up a little bit its in a finished house so i cannot see how mast is attached also the bottom pipe from meter to breaker box might be able to move a little as well and im replacing the breaker panel as well.my meter box is built into the wall with just front of meter and glass bulb is showing. That will be easy to remove siding to get to it. Just not sure about moving the mast just enough for new meter box. I have never seen how a mast is put up, is it possible once i get it unbolted from the meter i can raise it up just a little.
thank you

#5 ·
POCO's have certain height requirements/restrictions about how high a mast can extend thru the roof per conduit size. 1 1/2" may not be allowed to be high enough (without guy wires) to meet NEC requirements. We've always installed 2" masts to meet these requirements.

#11 ·
Unless you've done things like this in the past and are pretty experienced, this is NOT a beginner DIY job. NO WAY.

EVERYTHING, with the possible exception of the mast itself, will HAVE to be replaced. Even then, keeping just the mast will be difficult to work with.
What do you mean just the glass meter is showing? Literally? Can you even see the existing meter pan? If not you are definitely going to have to rip out whatever siding or exterior finish is there to get the new larger meter pan installed.

Are you in California?

#14 ·
If im not able to move mast up for some reason and have to mount meter pan in same location which would make my drop to breaker box shorter by a couple inches because meter pan size difference . Can i use pvc conduit from bottom of meter pan to new breaker box which is 5 feet or does that have to be steel. Not knowing what i will run into just trying to look ahead. Thanks for the info everybody

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.