Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #1

Share |

power meter interchangeable?

A friend of mine has been put under the impression that the local power company often puts 100amp meters in 60amp cans. He wants me to check to see if his is a 100amp meter and is hinting at just getting a new can and stick a 100amp panel in place of his 60amp panel (I know the wire size maybe an issue). I never heard of such a question and I feel dumbfounded, because looking at the front of the meter I am not sure. I noticed on ge's industrial website that CL200 (class 200) meters can be used up to 200amps (which is what he has), but I don't know if that is what the intended usage is. So here's my question... how can you tell by just looking at the meter itself (not the can or the wire coming into it) what amperage is it intended for (60,100,200)? Are they interchangeable from can to can?
noshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

I don't know much about meters, but mine does say 100amps on it, at least I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that. I have 100 amp service. If it does not say then looking up the model is probably the only way. It will probably work above the rated amperage, but not really safe so I would not recommend it.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I don't know much about meters, but mine does say 100amps on it, at least I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that. I have 100 amp service. If it does not say then looking up the model is probably the only way. It will probably work above the rated amperage, but not really safe so I would not recommend it.
I don't know meters either, but my gut instinct tells me that a 100 amp meter does NOT mean the house is being supplied with 100 amps. Instead, the 100 amps likely means the maximum service the meter can handle is 100 amps. In other words, the master breaker in the service entrance must be 100 amps OR LESS. Since 60 Amps is less than 100 amps, the meter rated for 100 amps can be connected to a 60A service entrance.

Remember, the meter does not supply power or protection. It's just a device like an electrical outlet... basically sort of like a light bulb connected in series with your power.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Master Electrician

it's the meter base you need to be looking at. The base itself is what dictates the amperage. Many times they will infact have 100A service supplied even though it's only a 60A panel. In alot of houses in canada they actually prerun 200A services to houses in anticipation of future upgrades. The only way to really tell is to get the power company to tell you what they have installed to that house. The meter would have to be pulled for an upgrade anyways.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #5

It's irrelevant. When you pull the permit to install your new service the POCO will pull the meter and install what is needed in the new service. That could be a new meter or the old one. It's not up to your friend what meter goes in.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #6

Yeah...here the electrician installed the meter base & the POCO installed their meter
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
Idiot Emeritus

Just for info, the prong configuration for all self-contained single phase meters is the same.

A CL 200, 100, 60, or even 15 amp meter will fit in any socket.

The CL 320 (400 amp) is different though.

The posts above are right, the electrician determines the amp rating of the socket, and the POCO determines what meter to install.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #8

Thanks for all your input. Good info. micromind. It sounds like my friend is in the middle of changing plans, but thanks again.
noshorts is offline   Reply With Quote