Power Inverter - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Power inverter

Hello, I have quite a odd technical power question.

I want to run a computer from a car battery. So it is portable. But I need to get maximum time use of the battery. So I was wanting to know would it be best to run a 24v to 240v 1000w converter to power the screen and computer or put a 24v to 240v 100w converter to power the screen then built a power converter to directly power the system, straight off as DC. Or is there not much in it? Plus how complicated would it be to make a power supply for a pc that runs off a 24v battery?

I know this is probably the wrong place to ask, but when I ask on computer forums they give very blank looks, I was hoping there might be some better answers on here.

Advertisement

AndrewL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Crabby Bastard

Rewards Points: 75

Power inverter

wouldn't a laptop with an extended battery make more sense? desktops and monitors aren't made to run off batteries for any length of time so they are power hogs compared to portables. Laptops are (obviously) designed for portability with power management and will give you a lot more run time .

Advertisement

terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #3

Power inverter

Admittedly laptop would be more practical, and would be remarkably cheaper. It need the capabilities of a pc. I have looked into the options of having a laptop, and extending the battery, but it wouldn't work for what i need.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Power inverter

I think you're more likely to get a good answer to your question at this forum: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/
They have a FAQ about power supplies for car computers at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-...-part-1-a.html
Matsukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #5

Power inverter

Thanks a lot, that is exactly the info I have been looking for.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,548

Power inverter

PCs and monitor run on 120 volts. No need for a 240 volt inverter. The length of run time you get is dependent on the power used by the PC/monitor and the size of the battery. The bigger the battery the longer the run time. The bigger and more powerful the PC the shorter the run time.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Power inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
Hello, I have quite a odd technical power question.

I want to run a computer from a car battery. So it is portable. But I need to get maximum time use of the battery. So I was wanting to know would it be best to run a 24v to 240v 1000w converter to power the screen and computer or put a 24v to 240v 100w converter to power the screen then built a power converter to directly power the system, straight off as DC. Or is there not much in it? Plus how complicated would it be to make a power supply for a pc that runs off a 24v battery?

I know this is probably the wrong place to ask, but when I ask on computer forums they give very blank looks, I was hoping there might be some better answers on here.
What country are you in?

Advertisement

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote