DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Power disconnect switch

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mike Swearingen 
#1 ·
I was looking at a book on well pumps and they show a power disconnect switch located near the pressure tank.Now my dad will be relocating my pressure tank and I do see a disconnect switch in the basement that the wire passes through on its way from the breaker box to the pressure switch.Don't want to sound stupid but what is it for.I mean if work needs to be done on the system throwing the breaker would kill all power so curious what the disconnect is for.This is a really a old house maybe they aren't used anymore.

#2 · (Edited)
A disconnect switch at a water pump, an HVAC unit, etc. is just for that...a disconnect at the work site to prevent having to go all the way back and forth to the electrical panel when working on it.
Unless it's required by code where you're located, it is your option. Personally, I just have a duplex receptacle to plug and unplug the pump in to for a "disconnect", which is all that most people around here use. Simpler and serves the same purpose for a shallow well setup, but a disconnect would be needed for a deep well with a submersible pump down in it.
Good Luck!
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.