Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Share |

Power Cord fastners

I hung a new light fixture yesterday and used these fastened to run the cord along the wall to clean it up. I didn't hard wire it so it goes to a plug in and has a switch on the end of the plug. These say they are for low voltage but is this ok as long as the cord isn't crimped tightly in the fasteners?

Power Cord fastners-image-4173604676.jpg

doc_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Power Cord fastners

You should be fine with that.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #3

Power Cord fastners

Thanks for the reply. I thought it would be ok but the fasteners were specified for low voltage. Maybe because that's what they typically get used for. Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Power Cord fastners

Yes, typically for Coax & Cat-5e/Cat-6, but to hold the power cord out of the way, you will be fine. It still makes it a temporary installation, since the cord is not permanently installed, same as the fixture.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Power Cord fastners

Flexible cords should not be fastened to the building surfaces.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Power Cord fastners

What kind of light is ist?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Power Cord fastners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Flexible cords should not be fastened to the building surfaces.
I really would not consider that as fastened to the building surface. It is more of just held by the coax/ethernet clips. You can actually pull on the cord, and it will come loose from under those clips.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #8

Power Cord fastners

Power Cord fastners-image-3510729037.jpg

Power Cord fastners-image-3173611543.jpg

It's a track light. It has an adapter that snaps into the end of the track with a power cord attached to it. The fasteners aren't pounded in tight if that matters.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Power Cord fastners

Since the power cord was is for a temp use only, and since this is track lighting, I would go with something like http://www.lowes.com/pd_193256-35681...ems&facetInfo= and the proper box, that will allow you to pull Romex for permanent use, if that fixture is staying.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #10

Power Cord fastners

Romex isn't an option. The track light kit comes with the adapter that contains the power cord shown in the photos. The adapter slides and snaps right into the end of the track. Then the cord shown is attached to the adapter permanently and plugs into the wall on the other end. I did however consider this hiding option but I had these fasteners and thought they might work. How is one better than the other? Other than a cleaner look?

Thanks for the replies guys. You're knowledge truly helps us DIY'ers.