Power To The Band - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Power to the Band

I am hosting a party soon where there will be need to supply a live band with power. They say all they need is a 20A source. Here is my current set-up and plan to furnish their electrical needs. Please advise. Thank you. I have a heat pump for our pool that is being supplied by a 50A circuit. This circuit comes out of a 100A sub-panel being fed by 200A service (It is run with 6-2 due to the distance [about 100']) . I was wondering if I can "rob" the heat pump, and put some type of 4-plex at the end of that run, then run a heavy duty extension cord an additional 100' (perhaps make one) to power the band's equipment, a couple strands of Christmas lights, and maybe a small appliance (fan). What set-up would anyone recommend?

Advertisement

daddybigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Power to the Band

You can't tap into the circuit feeding the heat pump, if that's what you're asking. Not a good idea, even for a temporary setup.

If you have a 100amp sub-panel where the circuit for the heat pump originates, you need to tap into it with a new circuit. You can roll in a new breaker at the sub-panel and run a new 20amp circuit with new wire to where you're setting the band up.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Advice worth 2 cents!

Rewards Points: 150

Power to the Band

Normally when you use an extension cord it's plugged into a receptacle and the cord is protected by the 15 amp breaker. If you connect an extension cord to the 50A breaker you loose the overload protection (but still have the short-circuit protection).

Ideally you'd want to have a fuse or breaker between the cord and the pump wires to protected the decreased conductor size. If you dont install a fuse everything will work just fine BUT, if you put too much load on that extension cord the breaker will not trip and the wire will fry!!!

As a kid growing up I used to do that all the time making damn sure I knew what the total amps were (i had a clip-on ammeter).

Find an old fuse box and work something out.

-pete
Old 06-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #4

Question

Power to the Band

My apologies. I didn't make one of the most important thing clear enough. When I stated: "rob" the heat pump, I meant I would be disconnecting it completely. We don't need it running. I would have a dedicated 50A ckt that is being fed by #6 copper. I would disconnect the heat pump end of the wire and put in a gangbox, then extend service to the band set-up. My question would be-if this is a reliable design-what type of box would I use, and how would I deliver power tot he band's equipment? Sorry for the confusion
Old 06-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Power to the Band

The wiring to the heat pump does not have a neutral... it is 2 hots and a ground. You would have to rewire this line at the panel, relocating the white wire, relocating the black wire to a 20A breaker (and #6 won't fit), then wire some type of ganged box at the heat pump end for the receptacles. Seems easier to me to run a temporary circuit from the 100A subpanel to where ever you need it.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #6

Power to the Band

Makes sense Househelper. Thanks. I can do that. I have plenty of space on the sub. What size wire should I use? Again, It will be about 100-150' to the band, then I will run some low voltage lights and perhaps a fan. Your recommendation will be a lot easier than disconnecting the heat pump. You are right. What I was looking at is probably over-kill!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #7

Power to the Band

Got that. You and some others agree. Makes more sense. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

Power to the Band

I would find out from the band exactly what they have. I am guessing everything they will have will have the normal 15A plug ends on there stuff. If this is the case I would buy some 10/4 SJOW(that way you won't have to worry about voltage drop). Run this wire into a quadplex box and put one plug on with the red, the other plug on the black. In the panel hook up the wire to two 15A breakers and your good to go and will have two circuits.

If they need a 20A receptical do above but put in t-slot plugs but connect the wire to two 20A breakers.

If they have there own power distro that requires 20A at 240V you may have to take the same 10/4 and either go directly into there distro or find out what type of plug end they have and buy a matching one and put it on the end of your sjow.

Now I think about it 10/4 may be overkill if it is 15A, you probaly could get away with #12.
darren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,438

Power to the Band

The best thing to do, is run a temp run from the Main off of a 60 amp breaker to a Sub-panel, then from there on a piece of Ply framed by 2x4s with a couple attached at the bottom of the frame to stablize it, have 4 gang boxes wired to the Sub.

You will have to use Conduit stubs from the Sub to the 4gangs, and use 12awg to wire each box. Depending on the number of outlets, I would try to stay within 3 sets, if you can afford the larger sub-panel, go with at least 6.

Just make sure that you are using GFCI Breakers in the panel, and have a ground rod connected. Read Section 520.62 of the NEC, and 525.20 to start.

http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_document.asp
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,008

Power to the Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The best thing to do, is run a temp run from the Main off of a 60 amp breaker to a Sub-panel, then from there on a piece of Ply framed by 2x4s with a couple attached at the bottom of the frame to stablize it, have 4 gang boxes wired to the Sub.

You will have to use Conduit stubs from the Sub to the 4gangs, and use 12awg to wire each box. Depending on the number of outlets, I would try to stay within 3 sets, if you can afford the larger sub-panel, go with at least 6.

Just make sure that you are using GFCI Breakers in the panel, and have a ground rod connected. Read Section 520.62 of the NEC, and 525.20 to start.

http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_document.asp
That is way to much work for a simple convenience cord for a one time party. Just do as the others have said. Come out of the sub panel with SOW cord and run it to the band area. You can use a 2 gang box and get two circuits out there if you need it.
He does not need another ground rod. He already has one at his service panel and hopefully at the sub if it is outside.
You are correct about the GFCI.
Hope your party is a smash. Have fun.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #11
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Power to the Band

Elwood, I'm puttin' the band back together...

Advertisement