DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Powder room

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Termite 
#1 ·
Does code require a dedicated 20 Amp GFI outlet in a powder room, just as is the case with a full bath?

#5 ·
Dave-

That was really my question. Does the code offer any distinction between a bathroom, which to me means a bath and/or shower and a powder room.

I don't see a need for an outlet at all in a 15 sq. ft. powder room. Frankly, I don't think someone could do their hair there if they wanted to!

#6 ·
Dave-

That was really my question. Does the code offer any distinction between a bathroom, which to me means a bath and/or shower and a powder room.

I don't see a need for an outlet at all in a 15 sq. ft. powder room. Frankly, I don't think someone could do their hair there if they wanted to!
Quick answer, no, the code doesn't differentiate between full baths and powder rooms. Same holds true for bath fans, which makes very little sense to me (other than for odors). For remodeling purposes, run 12ga wire on a dedicated circuit for lights, fan and receptacles in your powder room. In new construction you could group all the baths' receptacles on one circuit, although I wouldn't do it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.