Potential 220 Outlet Issue, Can It Be Moved? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 97

potential 220 outlet issue, can it be moved?

So we are finishing a kitchen remodel, they had to shift my base and upper cabs 1/2" to the left to due to a out of plumb wall on the right, I have floor to ceiling cabs on two ends. I might be jumping the gun but I had the 220 outlet for our range at the correct spot I just measured again now that the cabs are in and it looks like I am 1/4" short as the cabs moved to the left. The mfg, has two open 7.5"x5" sections at the bottom rear of the range on each side for the 220 plug to recess under the range so it can be backed against the wall. Based on my measurements, I am not short by 1/4" and there is no wiggle room, the opening is exactly 30".

So, can the existing box be used as a junction box and we can cut a new box a few inches over and just put a cover plat over this one? Or can this 220 outlet be hard wired with conduit so I dont have to use the huge 220 cord?

Advertisement

titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

As long as you can get into the old box and access the joints you are good.

How much wire did you leave in the old box, if you have enough maybe you could put an EMT nipple between the exisiting box and the new box and push the wires over to the new box without makeing any joints in the old box.

Advertisement

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I suspect that cutting the cord end off the range would violate the listing. And more importantly the warranty.
Andy-n-ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-n-ATL View Post
I suspect that cutting the cord end off the range would violate the listing. And more importantly the warranty.
Maybe not. New ranges don't come with a cord.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #5

thanks for the info, I did not move the 220 box during the remodel so its the OEM box with the 31 yr old house, there is no slack in the wires in the box. so I guess we would have to add a box on the other side of the stud and drill a hole into the double gang box the 220 outlet is now and somehow extend the line about 4-5 inches. Can this be done?

Can't the 220 range be hard wired with conduit so that huge plug will not hit the back of the range?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
Maybe not. New ranges don't come with a cord.
Yea but probably so 'cause the op keeps mentioning the huge plug.
AndyinAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #7

Titan,

The range has come with a plug. That means it should be plugged in.
AndyinAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
thanks for the info, I did not move the 220 box during the remodel so its the OEM box with the 31 yr old house, there is no slack in the wires in the box. so I guess we would have to add a box on the other side of the stud and drill a hole into the double gang box the 220 outlet is now and somehow extend the line about 4-5 inches. Can this be done?

Can't the 220 range be hard wired with conduit so that huge plug will not hit the back of the range?
Your new range should come with instructions on how to hard wire the range as an option to a cord and plug method. Many ranges come with a set of 3 lugs that you install on the terminals of the range wiring block so you can run a flexible metal conduit with individual wires inside from junction box the the range terminal block. Do not try to terminate the wires to the range screws , they are designed to take ring terminals or spade terminals only. Again read the instructions they should tell you what you need to know.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #9

Thanks for all the advice. I had the range delivered this morning as that's the only way to really know whether it will fit. I think I am okay now, with a 1/4" to spare based on taking the actual measurements of the range.

Here is the only Dumb A$$ thing I did. I whated to measure how far the 220 cord plug will be off the wall and and towards the side edge of the range. I thought I will will just plug it in and take the measurements, well, appearently the electrican left the 220 circuit live (the rest of the kitchen is off at the panel).

When I plugged the cord in I got a arc as the the 3 wires on the other end hit each other at the other end of the plug. I quickly realized there was power at the outlet, stupid, stupid, stupid, I should have checked the panel myself but I assumed everything was still off as there are no outlet hooked up. I did check the panel and this arc did not trip the 220 circuit breaker??

I am just kicking myself, I am glad I was not touching the leads on the end of the cord. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #10

So I assume the receptacle hadn't yet been installed? A nice vigorous arc can indeed be an exciting thing.

Glad you are ok. Always assume stuff is hot.
Andy-n-ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #11

The 220 outlet is in the wall. I completely forgot there were three bare wires at the other end of the 220 flexible cord that would attach to the range. When they hit the concrete and touched there was a nice flash that scared the heck out of me. I have been sick to my stomach over this, just too stupid, a moment of not thinking

So, here is the question, it does not look like the breaker tripped? That's sort of scary? Shouldn't it have tripped on a short like what I did? Perhaps it's a bad breaker?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
So, here is the question, it does not look like the breaker tripped? That's sort of scary? Shouldn't it have tripped on a short like what I did? Perhaps it's a bad breaker?
Presumably this was a very brief short, lasting no more than a fraction of a second. It's entirely possible that the fault current was just not high enough for long enough to trip the breaker, even if it's functioning normally. However, I too would be concerned about the lack of a trip in that circumstance. What brand and age is the panel? Does the breaker handle operate normally? Does it look or feel damaged or unusual?

Advertisement

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote