Pot Lights? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pot lights?

My mother in law wants me to install some pot lights into our basement. She bought these lights 2 years ago with no consideration as to if they were any good (from home depot).

The electrical box that is connected to the top of the pot light is 2" x 2" (approx). I connected the wires without trouble, however when I pushed everything into the box it is REALLY crammed in there. So crammed that I actually have to push the box in place and then fasten the screw in place to hold the box to the top of the pot light.

My concern is box fill. I know that light boxes and outlet boxes and light switch boxes all have a maximum amount of wires that can be connected within it. Technically, the box fill is not maxed because the box says 4 x 12 AWG wires (2 in and 2 out) are acceptable.

Do I need to worry about safety here? Or should I just go with the box writing that says it is okay?

Advertisement

jim.thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pot lights?

Those are cheap junk. I suppose that if you got the them assembled, and they work, more power to you (pun intended).

As a professional master electrician, I can tell you that I would never specify that type of fixture on any project that we do. The only time I have ever had to deal with them is when the customer insists on supplying them.

Penny-wise and dollar foolish. It takes us so much more time to install these that in the end, the customer pays far more in increased labor costs, eating up any "savings" (and then some) that they think they had by purchasing the cheapest junk fixtures.

Advertisement

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Pot lights?

I realize that but I started installing them for her because she bought them 2 years ago and doesn't really want to buy more.

Is there a safety issue with the wires being so crammed in?
jim.thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:54 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pot lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.thornton View Post
I realize that but I started installing them for her because she bought them 2 years ago and doesn't really want to buy more.

Is there a safety issue with the wires being so crammed in?
Kinda but as all the recessed luminaire they will have thermal cutout switch if you put in too big a wattage wise of bulb and that type of recess can you describe they just don't have practally have any room at all.
{ I know you mention the number of conductors but they never mention grounding conductors { aka bare conductors } that what useally get them.}

I have dealt with them before.

I am on the same page as KBsparky I use good qualnty recessed lumianires that something been around for many years.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote