Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #1

Share |

pot light installation

hey guys in the next few weeks im going to do work on my living room where im going to scrape the popcorn off the cieling and install pot lights then crown moulding to hide the new wires and upscale the look.
my question is how far my pot lights should be from each other and how far from the wall i was thinking to use the 4 inch or smaller any recommendation for size of pot lights that helps too.. the highet of my cieling is 8 feet i dont know if that would matter.... I have done wiring before what can you guys tell me any tips for installation as well as what thinks i need to be aware of. thanks

renogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
DIY Enthusiast

pot light installation

Size of the room, how many lights?
Do you already have a source of
power for these lights?
The new wire will need to be in the ceiling the lights are going into, NOT hidden behind crown molding.

sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Cruising into the sunset

pot light installation

It depends on how you want to use the lights. I typically install wall wash cans 24" off the wall. The light casts on the wall pretty much where you would mount a picture or whatever else one would hang on a wall.

I did one job where the HO wanted cans all along the perimeter of the living room, then in one corner downlight the keys on their piano. Perimeter lights were 24" off the wall and 48" OC. The cans were 6" and the trims were recessed black baffle. They also had 8' ceilings.

If you go with a specular trim and a flood lamp, you'll get a lot more light cast down than a black baffle. Trims make a big difference. You'll still want to determine how you want the light to fall because even though a specular trim casts more light, it still creates a cone. A plain ring with the lamp just protruding past the trim will cast the most light but is only slightly more attractive than a bare light bulb hanging from the ceiling.

Consider the trim options. Consider how you want the light to cast. Then do some research on how the light will look and how that meets what you are trying to accomplish.

Oh yeah, I second the advice not to hide the wires in the crown molding. Not even sure how that could be done with recessed fixtures without looking like a 5th grader did it.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

pot light installation

FIRST thing you do is find out where the framing is above the ceiling. Use a stud finder to detect where it runs. You don't want to start cutting holes for one side of room only to discover you can't make the other side match because of framing complications.

Knowing where the framing runs will also help you decide how to run the wiring.

While patching drywall isn't trivial, it's a lot smarter to cut the necessary holes, patch and repaint drywall than it is to half-ass the wiring.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living room, pot lights, remodel