DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   pot light clip - flange (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/pot-light-clip-flange-36108/)

wilsonfrench 01-16-2009 10:55 PM

pot light clip - flange
 
1 Attachment(s)
I am trying to put the flange back into my pot light, but my the drywall hole is larger than the opening of the hole into which the can sits...basically, the clips from the housing do not clip under the drywall because the edge of the drywall is too far for it to reach...
question:
can i put silicone around the edge of the flange and silicone / adhere it to the ceiling? will this work? do I need a special type of silicone? heat rated? the lights would not be on that often...as it is over the corner of one section of the bathroom..
any ideas on how I can get the flange to snap into the clips in the housing?
see photo...any other ideas? other than ripping into my ceiling? or cutting and fitting in new pot lights?

ctsmiths 01-17-2009 08:59 AM

Not sure what you mean by flange? Do you mean the trim ring? Who makes the light?

wilsonfrench 01-17-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctsmiths (Post 214121)
Not sure what you mean by flange? Do you mean the trim ring? Who makes the light?

yes, I mean the trim ring...the part that covers the hole and the roughed in area / hole....kinda shaped like a round metal saucer....

ctsmiths 01-17-2009 01:06 PM

Halo makes trim rings with a spring retainer clip that might help you, I wouldnt use silicone because the drywall will suck the moisture out and will fall off at some point. Hopes this helps

wilsonfrench 01-17-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctsmiths (Post 214299)
Halo makes trim rings with a spring retainer clip that might help you, I wouldnt use silicone because the drywall will suck the moisture out and will fall off at some point. Hopes this helps

what about something like "no more nails"? would that be permanent? naturally, I would have to remove it to change the bulbs from time to time...
what is HALO? company? do you know the contact # or email?

ctsmiths 01-17-2009 06:07 PM

Here is a site that has trim rings. I dont know if they have 3 " but check them out. The spring attaches to the inside top of the trim ring and the inside of the light can. The spring has a hook to get it to stay all you need is a small hole. I know that they have them in home depot but Im in connecticut so I dont know whats available where you are.http://www.elights.com/halrecligtri.html

wilsonfrench 01-17-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctsmiths (Post 214497)
Here is a site that has trim rings. I dont know if they have 3 " but check them out. The spring attaches to the inside top of the trim ring and the inside of the light can. The spring has a hook to get it to stay all you need is a small hole. I know that they have them in home depot but Im in connecticut so I dont know whats available where you are.http://www.elights.com/halrecligtri.html


this may seem like a stupid question, but: do I need special springs? it gets very hot next to that bulb...will my thin metal spring melt?
also, I see various holes / slots in my can...are these meant for spring hooks?

wilsonfrench 01-17-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctsmiths (Post 214299)
Halo makes trim rings with a spring retainer clip that might help you, I wouldnt use silicone because the drywall will suck the moisture out and will fall off at some point. Hopes this helps


will this "spring retainer clip" hook onto my existing can that is in my "IC shoe-box"...
can you send me a pic of a "spring retainer clip"...I treid googling it (no luck)...is it a small spring (about 1 1/2" with a hook on either end)...I hook into a hole in my can and then hook it into the trim (is there a hole in the trim)....then, it springs into place? will it mount flush to the ceiling?

ctsmiths 01-17-2009 08:35 PM

They come with the baffle trim kit, ill try and get you a pic but it may be tomorrow morning send me you email and ill get you some pics

wilsonfrench 01-17-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctsmiths (Post 214575)
They come with the baffle trim kit, ill try and get you a pic but it may be tomorrow morning send me you email and ill get you some pics

what is a baffle trim kit? ...will it hold the 50W hallogen bulb?
would it fit a 3" can? (the one that is in the "shoebox" IC housing (in the attic)?

ctsmiths 01-17-2009 09:22 PM

can you tell me how to upload the pics to the forum?

wilsonfrench 01-18-2009 07:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctsmiths (Post 214603)
can you tell me how to upload the pics to the forum?

yup...when you reply to this message....click on the paperclip icon (next to the smiley face)...this will open up files on your computer...don't worry, completely safe...
then, navigate to where you saved your photo...click upload, then close the window..then send it...

remember to click "browse" to look for your photo...and upload it.

ctsmiths 01-18-2009 10:15 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics

ctsmiths 01-18-2009 10:21 AM

The one in the pic is a 6" trim baffle but you should be able to modify the spring retainer clip to fit your need, if you cant get a 3" one. They will be fine with a 50w hallogen I have some in my lights, just happen to have a fluorescent in this one cuz I use it all the time. Good luck :)

wilsonfrench 01-18-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctsmiths (Post 214882)
The one in the pic is a 6" trim baffle but you should be able to modify the spring retainer clip to fit your need, if you cant get a 3" one. They will be fine with a 50w hallogen I have some in my lights, just happen to have a fluorescent in this one cuz I use it all the time. Good luck :)

thanks for the detailed pics...
I wouldn't need a new can would I? As I mentioned, there seems to be slots in the can....I cannot remove it from the IC shoebox, because there are expandle clips that brace it from coming down through the drywall ceiling... (part of the clip braces against the ceiling...the other part is "L" shaped and is supposed to brace against the underside of the ceiling, so the can doesn't move...but the hole being larger thatn 3" in diameter, the "L" clips do nothing...it is kind of like a toggle bolt...I can push the can in, but cannot pull it out...
where could I find such springs? would the springs come with a 3" trim? ...
woulld you think that the slots in my can are for springs? or for ventilation of the hot halogen light......
or get long springs so I can attach to the top holes of the can...there are two holes on opposite ends of each other...what do you thinK?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved