Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Possible way to reduce energy cost???

Hi, I hope someone can let me know about a fairly new product that I saw on a local news network here in Atlanta. It's received coverage on TV as well as some of the local DIY radio shows here. The product is called Energy Crusher which is supposed to reduce your energy consumption by a guaranteed 8%, but could easily save anywhere from 10% - 20%. If that's true, the $329 unit would pay for itself in one year for most homeowners.

I'm including two links here...
one is a youtube demonstration... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPdOy...eature=related
Company site... http://energycrusher.com/index.php/products/

My question to this forum is does this product make sense? I had an electrician from a local company come out to my house last night to demonstrate it. The unit is basically a large capacitor that stores unused energy and on a cycle of every 20 secs, gives that energy back to your electrical system through your neutral bar. (I'm not quite sure I understand it all).

Anyway the electrician said I would need to purchase two units because I have two 'legs' coming into my house's electrical panel. Does that make sense? If I understand him correctly that would mean some of my breakers are fed off of one line coming in and the other breakers are fed off of another line. I think this unit could be helpful, just trying to justify the cost for two units.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

twobyfour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,256

Snail oil

er: I meant snake oil

Last edited by rjniles; 02-25-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo fixed
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Banned Electrician

Rewards Points: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobyfour2 View Post
Hi, I hope someone can let me know about a fairly new product that I saw on a local news network here in Atlanta. It's received coverage on TV as well as some of the local DIY radio shows here. The product is called Energy Crusher which is supposed to reduce your energy consumption by a guaranteed 8%, but could easily save anywhere from 10% - 20%. If that's true, the $329 unit would pay for itself in one year for most homeowners.

one is a youtube demonstration... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPdOy...eature=related

My question to this forum is does this product make sense? I had an electrician from a local company come out to my house last night to demonstrate it. The unit is basically a large capacitor that stores unused energy and on a cycle of every 20 secs, gives that energy back to your electrical system through your neutral bar. (I'm not quite sure I understand it all).

Anyway the electrician said I would need to purchase two units because I have two 'legs' coming into my house's electrical panel. Does that make sense? If I understand him correctly that would mean some of my breakers are fed off of one line coming in and the other breakers are fed off of another line. I think this unit could be helpful, just trying to justify the cost for two units.

Smoke and mirrors.

Don't waste your money..
Old 02-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,036

It's probably one of those devices referred to generically as power factor correctors.

However power factor issues are small or non-existent in homes. (Power factor inefficiency can be a problem in industrial settings where there is a lot of motorized tools and equipment. The poorer the power factor, the more kilowatts are supplied by the source to perform the same work.)

It so happens that connecting a capacitor from hot to neutral or from hot to hot (depending on the motor) will cut the overall power draw while the motor behaves the same way performing the same work

Yes you can overcorrect in which case the overall efficiency goes down. If you are not using electricity (the motor is turned off), the capacitors in a power factor correction device left connected will consume power, doing nothing useful.

Pure resistance such as for incandescent lights or baseboard heaters does not have power factor error.

Power factor can be explained using a sailboat as a metaphor. When the wind is behind you you get maximum power with the wind hitting the sail stuck out to the side straight on. The "power factor" is close to 100%.

When you want to sail in a direction other than the wind, you have to set the sail with the wind blowing at a diagonal. You don't go as fast for a given wind speed.

("Correcting the power factor" in sailing would consist of somehow redirecting the wind, which is impossible. You are just fortunate you can move at all; by zig zagging you can eventually get to a destination upwind.)

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-25-2012 at 09:47 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
darren (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 154

Anything "supplied" to the neutral bar is wasted. The neutral and ground bar are bonded in the panel, so anything that ends up in the neutral or ground bar is dissipated into the earth. The power company could care less what you do with the power, after it passes the meter.

Besides, you have one phase coming into the house. The wire is split, 120v each, but there's not multiple phases. It all sounds like a scam.

Last edited by matt151617; 02-25-2012 at 09:25 AM.
matt151617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,450

The power returned to the neutral buss is not going into the earth. It wants to return to it's source, the transformer.
mpoulton (02-25-2012), SD515 (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Power factor can be explained using a sailboat as a metaphor. When the wind is behind you you get maximum power with the wind hitting the sail stuck out to the side straight on. The "power factor" is close to 100%.

When you want to sail in a direction other than the wind, you have to set the sail with the wind blowing at a diagonal. You don't go as fast for a given wind speed.
Er, interesting analogy but not quite right on the sailing. Sailboats can go faster than the wind, and they can only do it when sailing across the wind. The more perpendicular the boat's course is to the wind, the faster it's theoretical maximum speed. In practice there is a limit determined by the sail's efficiency and the boat's drag in the water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing..._than_the_wind

On the power factor stuff, of course, you're right. And power factor correction doesn't help your power bill unless you're in an industrial setting where the POCO monitors the power factor and charges a penalty for it. Residential meters charge for kilowatt-hours not KVA-hours, so the inefficiency of low power factor is paid for by the POCO not the customer.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

You save money by using less electricity.

Turn things off. Buy "Energy Star" appliances. More, search google.com for the words...

Energy Saving Tips
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

you also can save a ton of electricity by unplugging appliances. a lot of appliances continually use some basal level of energy merely by being plugged in... not only things with lights and clocks like microwaves, but also suprisingly blenders, food processors, radios, TVs, the charging cord for your cellphone...
The biggest power hogs are those cable boxes. Even when "off" they're burning tons of energy.
the more you habitually unplug, the more the savings.
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,248

Gotta love the Mr. Sparky ad.
They say savings up to 25%

Like others have said, snake oil.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Looks like something that you would see get promoted on one of those stupid infomercials in the middle of the night when you can't sleep and you are trying to find something to watch on TV.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobyfour2 View Post

The Energy Crusher work very well i have had it in my home in New Jersey for the past 13 months each month shows a reduction of KWATTS used The same people who dont think it works are the same people who 30 years ago thought a TANK LESS HOT WATER HEATER WOULDNT WORK EITHER THEY WOULD SAY HOW CAN THIS LITTLE HEATER OF HOT WATER HEAT OUR ENTIRE HOME WELL IT DOES
bcohenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

The Energy Crusher work very well i have had it in my home in New Jersey for the past 13 months each month shows a reduction of KWATTS used The same people who dont think it works are the same people who 30 years ago thought a TANK LESS HOT WATER HEATER WOULDNT WORK EITHER THEY WOULD SAY HOW CAN THIS LITTLE HEATER OF HOT WATER HEAT OUR ENTIRE HOME WELL IT DOES
bcohenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #14
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 504

I've never heard a single electrician (that wasn't selling them) say anything good about power factor correctors in a residential application. Motor loads in a house are minor. Heat and ac are what drive up your electrical bill and neither are effected by powrr correction
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #15
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,256
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcohenc View Post
The shill has arrived