Is It Possible To Enlarge A Junction Box? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

is it possible to enlarge a junction box?

The attached picture is of the junction box where the wires enter my house. It's about 4.75 x 4.75 x 6 inches, and crammed full. The picture doesn't do justice to just how jam-packed it really is, since you can't see past the first "wave" of wires.

So, I'm wondering whether there is any way to enlarge this box without ripping it out (which would be a big job). Or, is it possible to installing a new box without disconnecting all of the wires? At present, it's not practical to extend the box out further from the wall, since there's a water heater in the way. Of course, if moving the water heater is the only option, I could probably manage it. Anyways, I'm just wondering whether there might be a clever solution to this sort of problem. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
is it possible to enlarge a junction box?-p1110003.jpg  

Advertisement

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 602

Nope, I think I'be spending some time how to run some of those wires differantly so there not all just coming to there.
Only way to the wires out is to disconnect them.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #3

Looks like the box already has an extension ring on it but you could probably install another one to extend it. I don't see the water heater in the picture so it is not clear how it would be in the way. First thing I would do is take wire count and properly calculate the box fill. I would only recommend this as a temporary fix. As Joecaption said the best way to do it would be to figure out a better way to run the wires.

Last edited by teamo; 01-13-2013 at 05:47 PM.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamo View Post
Looks like the box already has an extension ring on it but you could probably install another one to extend it. I don't see the water heater in the picture so it is not clear how it would be in the way. First thing I would do is take wire count and properly calculate the box fill.
That is an extension ring mounted to a regular box.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

I would have to say, that box is well past its fill. You wonder why Electricians get paid so well to fix others "fixes".
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I would have to say, that box is well past its fill. You wonder why Electricians get paid so well to fix others "fixes".
Thanks for all of the responses.

Yes, it's certainly going to take some hours to fix the mess. I don't know how it got so screwed up, but it wasn't my doing. I've spent lots of time since we moved in (about 5 years ago) fixing electrical problems and this is the last major thing---at least it's the last one I know about. Maybe it's time to stop looking. Anyways, I'll eventually bite the bullet and do it right. Things like this bug me, even if it's been there for 20 years without causing any problems.
Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD View Post

So, I'm wondering whether there is any way to enlarge this box without ripping it out (which would be a big job). I'm just wondering whether there might be a clever solution to this sort of problem. Thanks.
Why do you need to enlarge it ???
Do you intend to add further wires to it ?
Or is it purely cosmetic reasons ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,314

It already has an extension ring on that box.

Advertisement