Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

Share |

Portable Outdoor Floodlight

I want to make a small (maybe about 6ft tall) portable fluorescent worklight for outdoor use in my yard (similar to those portable MH worklights). I do alot of outdoor yardwork, and I found myself always working after dark, trying to use a flashlight to finish the last bit of the weeding, garden, or another project.

The light will be made out of wood. A base for it, and I planned on using 4 daylight CFL bulbs at "120w" output each using only 23w each. 2 floodlight kits with weatherproof boxes, a lightswitch in a weatherproof box with weatherproof cover, and conduit. The run of wire in the conduit is only going to be about 4-5ft, maybe less, and it will be moved alot. Is it ok to use the 16/3 SJOOW wire inside the conduit since it is not "permenant wiring". This wire is also going to be used for the plug wired on with a ground 15a plug.

It is not a permenant oudoor light, and will be stored in a shed when not in use. Although, the light may be caught in one or 2 "summer storms" no doubt as many other things have before (radio, tools, etc.) Reasoning why I am making it a bit "weatherproof". Never plugged in though if it rains, but left out instead stored inside.

Last edited by seansy59; 02-23-2012 at 04:35 PM.
seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansy59 View Post
I want to make a small (maybe about 6ft tall) portable fluorescent worklight for outdoor use in my yard (similar to those portable MH worklights). I do alot of outdoor yardwork, and I found myself always working after dark, trying to use a flashlight to finish the last bit of the weeding, garden, or another project.

The light will be made out of wood. A base for it, and I planned on using 4 daylight CFL bulbs at "120w" output each using only 23w each. 2 floodlight kits with weatherproof boxes, a lightswitch in a weatherproof box with weatherproof cover, and conduit. The run of wire in the conduit is only going to be about 4-5ft, maybe less, and it will be moved alot. Is it ok to use the 16/3 SJOOW wire inside the conduit since it is not "permenant wiring". This wire is also going to be used for the plug wired on with a ground 15a plug.

It is not a permenant oudoor light, and will be stored in a shed when not in use. Although, the light may be caught in one or 2 "summer storms" no doubt as many other things have before (radio, tools, etc.) Reasoning why I am making it a bit "weatherproof". Never plugged in though if it rains, but left out instead stored inside.

So what is your main concern ?
It seems to be reasonablly weatherproof,
certainly enough to be left out side occasionly.

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #3

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/D...248988/Cat/778
Or just buy one of these.
Lighter, folds up when not needed, more light then what your suggesting to use.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That's what I was going to suggest, too. It will end up being cheaper than what you're suggesting to build, and a lot easier to maneuver around.
hawkeye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post

Thats what I was going to buy at first, and would'a loved too, but I need something that won't use alot of energy (ie. why I am opting for fluorescent) 1000w for the worklight will never run on the only outlet I have (shared with other outlets in the house and a den)

The only thing I was worried about on the light was the wire in the conduit. But since its not a permenant thing, stranded wire is needed for movement. Since solid copper will break over time.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Why not? That's only about 8 amps on a 15 amp line.
I use one on almost every job I work on just pluged into 15 amp outlets and have never tripped a breaker.
If it does then you have some wiring issues that need to be fixed.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #7

Nope, no wiring issues. We have a 200amp panel, electric heat, electric stove, electric for window A/C, but the one circuit that I plug into (through a window, no outside outlets) has a tv, computer/printer/modem, hi-hats, all outlets and lighting for den and a hallway, and also an electric "plug in" fireplace that gets used during winter or window A/C in summer. This is all on a 15a circuit. We have had multiple electricians come in and they all say its fine, and they couldn't rewire it either without taking down all the drywall because of the location of the panel. Wayyyy out of cost.

Our fridge, front porch outlet/exterior lighting, 2 kitchen outlets, and living room outlets are all on a 20amp circuit. Its tripped many times whenever we tried to run a leafblower or contractors plugged into the outlet for their powertools.

Thankfully, we have another dedicated 15a outlet in the garage, so we don't have to worry about that circuit anymore. Sadly though, this circuit is too far away for where I am working in the backyard for use.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Do you have attic or basement/crawlspace?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

I would make it all out of a PVC pipe frame some T fittings. Attache the switch box and flood light to the PVC and sacrifice a lead cord for the plug.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Thats what I was going to buy at first, and would'a loved too, but I need something that won't use alot of energy (ie. why I am opting for fluorescent) 1000w for the worklight will never run on the only outlet I have (shared with other outlets in the house and a den)

The only thing I was worried about on the light was the wire in the conduit. But since its not a permenant thing, stranded wire is needed for movement. Since solid copper will break over time.

They make smaller bulbs for those things. . . .

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CH0Q8wIwAA
Old 02-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
Do you have attic or basement/crawlspace?

Very small crawlspace (inaccesable in most spots) and right under the panel, you can't get through to from underneath.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Very small crawlspace (inaccesable in most spots) and right under the panel, you can't get through to from underneath.
Makes it very difficult when people build homes like that.

I have seen those portable lights they are nice I have a permenant halogen on my back porch can hold a 500 watt bulb but I think I only have 100 maybe 200 at most and it lights up the whole back yard.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #13

There's a lot of this kind of stuff out there. Pretty efficient but maybe more than you want to spend.

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/port...ights_396.html

Gary
Gary Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #14

OK! I am thinking about maybe buying one of those 1,000 watt worklights. I know its 1,000 watts used, but can I plug it into a 200ft+ extension cord to reach to my dedicated 15a outlet all the way in my garage.

The cords I have are all 16gauge regular outoor work cords. I know motors strain on loads, but lights may just be a tad dimmer.

My main concern is will the cord be okay with the long cord?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Thats what I was going to buy at first, and would'a loved too, but I need something that won't use alot of energy (ie. why I am opting for fluorescent)
You can easily change the lamps to a lower wattage,
there are many different wattages of lamps available
500w,300w,250w,200w,150, & 100w.
You can also rip out the j type lamp base
and put a standard es base in, and use a CFL.
easily done,waterproof and looks good.
And uses very little power.

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmxtothemax For This Useful Post:
Alan (02-24-2012), seansy59 (02-24-2012)

Tags
flood, light, project