DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Portable Outdoor Floodlight

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  dmxtothemax 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to make a small (maybe about 6ft tall) portable fluorescent worklight for outdoor use in my yard (similar to those portable MH worklights). I do alot of outdoor yardwork, and I found myself always working after dark, trying to use a flashlight to finish the last bit of the weeding, garden, or another project.

The light will be made out of wood. A base for it, and I planned on using 4 daylight CFL bulbs at "120w" output each using only 23w each. 2 floodlight kits with weatherproof boxes, a lightswitch in a weatherproof box with weatherproof cover, and conduit. The run of wire in the conduit is only going to be about 4-5ft, maybe less, and it will be moved alot. Is it ok to use the 16/3 SJOOW wire inside the conduit since it is not "permenant wiring". This wire is also going to be used for the plug wired on with a ground 15a plug.

It is not a permenant oudoor light, and will be stored in a shed when not in use. Although, the light may be caught in one or 2 "summer storms" no doubt as many other things have before (radio, tools, etc.) Reasoning why I am making it a bit "weatherproof". Never plugged in though if it rains, but left out instead stored inside.

See less See more
#6 ·
Why not? That's only about 8 amps on a 15 amp line.
I use one on almost every job I work on just pluged into 15 amp outlets and have never tripped a breaker.
If it does then you have some wiring issues that need to be fixed.

#7 ·
Nope, no wiring issues. We have a 200amp panel, electric heat, electric stove, electric for window A/C, but the one circuit that I plug into (through a window, no outside outlets) has a tv, computer/printer/modem, hi-hats, all outlets and lighting for den and a hallway, and also an electric "plug in" fireplace that gets used during winter or window A/C in summer. This is all on a 15a circuit. We have had multiple electricians come in and they all say its fine, and they couldn't rewire it either without taking down all the drywall because of the location of the panel. Wayyyy out of cost.

Our fridge, front porch outlet/exterior lighting, 2 kitchen outlets, and living room outlets are all on a 20amp circuit. Its tripped many times whenever we tried to run a leafblower or contractors plugged into the outlet for their powertools.

Thankfully, we have another dedicated 15a outlet in the garage, so we don't have to worry about that circuit anymore. Sadly though, this circuit is too far away for where I am working in the backyard for use.

#14 ·
OK! I am thinking about maybe buying one of those 1,000 watt worklights. I know its 1,000 watts used, but can I plug it into a 200ft+ extension cord to reach to my dedicated 15a outlet all the way in my garage.

The cords I have are all 16gauge regular outoor work cords. I know motors strain on loads, but lights may just be a tad dimmer.

My main concern is will the cord be okay with the long cord?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.