Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #1

Share |

portable natural gas generator

We have no power and are trying to get a portable natural gas generator to connect to the convenience outlet we use for our barbeque. What do I need? A natural gas generator, and a transfer panel? I understand this gets installed by an electrician. Can this be done when there is no power?

mmml111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

If you are trying to backfeed your panel, you cannot use an outlet that you normally use for a barbecue. This type of setup normally requires an "inlet" (240v) outlet outside your house, that is fed to a breaker on your panel or a transfer kit.

All the work can be done when the power is off, but I think it's a bit more involved than you think. If you're just without power a few days due to the storm, You may want to just run a few extension cords through the window for crucial items (fridge, sump pump, lamps).

Keep that generator 25+ feet from your house.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #3

I suppose they could exist, but I have never seen or heard of a natural gas generator that's portable (unless maybe on a trailer).
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Just call me Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I suppose they could exist, but I have never seen or heard of a natural gas generator that's portable (unless maybe on a trailer).
Good point, I was thinking gas...as in gasoline. I guess gasoline isn't all that "natural". Read too quickly!

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #5

How about this http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....tor/p1181.html
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

There is also this one http://www.cpogenerac.com/generac-lp...Fc465QodFCcZNg
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

I have work on few Natural gaz generators in both portable and stationary verison and the smaller portable verison should be not a major issue however you will have to pay attetion to the gaz pipe sizing due the amout of fuel it required the standard half inch pipe will be ok up to 4 KW but once you get larger than 4 KW size you will have to bump up to 3/4 inch or use the 2 PSIG system to handle the fuel demand on the gaz engine.

And of course there is a quick coupling for natural gaz units simauir what you see on natural gaz BBQ unit and just be aware you can NOT use just any type of hose it must rated for to use with gaz useage.

Also with natural gaz verison engine I am strongly recomoned that you have that engine have either low oil cut off or oil pressure switch cut off so you don't ruin the engine cuz they will keep running as long you have natural gaz supply is good.

For the transfer switch some are not super hard to hook up but you will need permit to make sure it is properly hook up and many POCO will want to know if you have legit transfer switch hook up and many POCO will not restore the power if you have no transfer swtich there { they are allready getting strict with this so there is no connires on that }

Merci,
Marc
Old 08-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by josall View Post
Well, I guess they do exist. But if the intended use is backup house power, for that price I'd sooner get a stationary unit that just runs on natural gas or propane. A Generac 8KW stationary is much cheaper than this 5.6KW "portable" unit.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote