Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #1

Share |

portable generator to load center

Connecting a generac gp15000-e to a 100 amp load center in a food service trailer I built. The generator has a floating neutral. At the load center neutral and ground are bonded. I want to make up a portable cord from the trailer to the generator's 50 amp outlet. The load center has plenty of single pole 20 amp breakers and one double pole 30 amp which distribute to the various lights, outlets, et cetera. The load center also has a 60 amp double pole breaker and the main 100 amp breaker.
Can I simply run gen gnd to panel gnd,; gen neutral to panel neutral, and L1 & L2 from gen to the 60 amp double pole in the load center?

Thanks for any comment.

old blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Master Electrician

portable generator to load center

depends, if the 50A twistlock on the generator is fused then yes you can, Otherwise i would tend to think you need to switch out the 60A two pole for a 50A. I'm sure someone who actually took the time to get out their codebook will chime in and correct me if i'm wrong. The grounding and neutral hookups you suggest should be fine. You'll also need to shuffle the breakers around so you can get some sort of interlock kit onto it or a transfer switch of some sort to make two way energization(it'll be in the dictionary next year i promise) impossible.

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote