DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Portable Generator Electrical Ground (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/portable-generator-electrical-ground-91971/)

Earnie 01-11-2011 09:32 AM

Portable Generator Electrical Ground
 
I believe a portable generator connected to a house's electrical system must be grounded. Correct?

I cannot reach the earth ground rod which is under a porch. This prevents me from grounding the generator to ground. Can I sink another copper ground rod and connect the existing rod to the new ground rod using copper ground wire? Distance will be about 12 feet.

Generator is connected to the house via a 200 amp transfer switch.

DangerMouse 01-11-2011 09:47 AM

I see no reason why not, but I could be wrong too. But why not just ground the generator straight out?
That'd accomplish the same result, would it not?

DM

Earnie 01-11-2011 10:10 AM

Hi DM,

The generator is for emergency power outages. Only connected if needed.

I'd roll it outside, connect the ground, then power cable to the transfer switch. Start the generator and transfer gneerator power to house loads.

Haven't needed it yet. The ground issue was on the work list. I just want to be sure the ground addition is within the electrical code.

DangerMouse 01-11-2011 10:32 AM

I'm doing sort of the same thing, I plan on using a jumper-cable clamp locked onto the ground rod so it can be easily attached to ground the machine, but easily removed to put it away when done. If there is anything wrong with this idea, let me know, OK guys?

DM

J. V. 01-11-2011 11:32 AM

The portable generator requires no ground rod. Only an equipment grounding conductor for the loads attached. This is facilitated through the ground wire in any cord and plug arrangement.

DangerMouse 01-11-2011 11:44 AM

My system may be a bit different though. I ran a few dedicated outlets that are in no way connected to the grid, completely separate from it. No transfer switch, since it is not needed. Is MY grounding the machine not going to help? Or am I correct in assuming I SHOULD ground it? I have a spot where the old TV antenna was mounted and there's a ground rod right there where I usually run the generator when it's needed.
Earnie: Sorry if it seems I'm hijacking your thread, but this may help you as well.

DM

rditz 01-11-2011 12:57 PM

When I wired up one for my father-in-law, I made a jumper cable that came from the generator and went to an outlet with sufficient sized wire for the load to a breaker in the main panel. when power went out, he shut the main off and then switched on the gen breaker and connected the generator and started it. works like a charm. the outlet is in the garage and he can run the gen out there.

rod

Earnie 01-11-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerMouse (Post 567764)
My system may be a bit different though. I ran a few dedicated outlets that are in no way connected to the grid, completely separate from it. No transfer switch, since it is not needed. Is MY grounding the machine not going to help? Or am I correct in assuming I SHOULD ground it? I have a spot where the old TV antenna was mounted and there's a ground rod right there where I usually run the generator when it's needed.
Earnie: Sorry if it seems I'm hijacking your thread, but this may help you as well.

DM

DM,

Please post what you need. I'm learning from it too.

If not required by Code, I guess it won't be wrong to ground the generator. Maybe it was mentioned in the generator owner's manual.

DangerMouse 01-11-2011 01:39 PM

Thanks! :thumbup:

DM

DexterII 01-11-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rditz (Post 567834)
When I wired up one for my father-in-law, I made a jumper cable that came from the generator and went to an outlet with sufficient sized wire for the load to a breaker in the main panel. when power went out, he shut the main off and then switched on the gen breaker and connected the generator and started it. works like a charm. the outlet is in the garage and he can run the gen out there.

rod

Just an opinion, but I don't think that things such as this should be shared here.

DangerMouse 01-11-2011 02:01 PM

In a public forum, anything can be shared.
Whether it's an advisable thing to do or against code is a different matter.
Double male plugs are never advisable, for obvious reasons.

DM

rditz 01-11-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DexterII (Post 567878)
Just an opinion, but I don't think that things such as this should be shared here.

noted

Speedy Petey 01-11-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rditz (Post 567834)
When I wired up one for my father-in-law, I made a jumper cable that came from the generator and went to an outlet with sufficient sized wire for the load to a breaker in the main panel. when power went out, he shut the main off and then switched on the gen breaker and connected the generator and started it. works like a charm. the outlet is in the garage and he can run the gen out there.

I FULLY agree with Dexter.

While this may "work" for you, it is still VERY dangerous and VERY illegal. Especially to an inexperienced and over confident DIYer.

rditz 01-11-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 567917)
I FULLY agree with Dexter.

.

ok, FULLY noted

Speedy Petey 01-11-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earnie (Post 567850)

If not required by Code, I guess it won't be wrong to ground the generator. Maybe it was mentioned in the generator owner's manual.

A portable generator is not required to be connected to the home's grounding electrode system. Doing so will be of no benefit either.

A permanent generator, hard wired to the house DOES require a grounding electrode.



250.34 Portable and Vehicle-Mounted Generators.

(A) Portable Generators.
The frame of a portable generator shall not be required to be connected to a grounding electrode as defined in 250.52 for a system supplied by the generator under the following conditions:

(1) The generator supplies only equipment mounted on the generator, cord-and-plug-connected equipment through receptacles mounted on the generator, or both, and

(2) The normally non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment and the equipment grounding conductor terminals of the receptacles are connected to the generator frame.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved