Portable Generator For 2 Sump Pumps - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Portable Generator for 2 Sump Pumps

I want to purchase a portable generator to run the 2 sump pumps in my house in the event of a power outage. One is in the front of my house and one is in the back. (I do not have a french drain, so they aren't pulling from the same water source.) I do not plan to run anything else.

I'm not sure if the sump pumps are 1/3 or 1/2 HP, but I used an inline amp meter and I know that one pump pulls a continuous draw of 12 amps, while the other pulls a continuous 10 amps.

I'm looking to size out a generator, but I'm having trouble doing so due to the starting amp draw. (I don't know what the draw is, as I didn't install these pumps and I can't find any model numbers on them.)

22 amps yields somewhere around 2600 watts when both are running at the same time. A small, 3000 watt generator would be able to handle that continuous wattage. The startup wattage draw is more confusing to me, because what happens if the two pumps start at the same time? I do not know the odds of that happening and I don't know if the startup draw would pull for 1 second or 1 millisecond. (The shorter the startup time, the less likely that the 2 would overlap.)

During a storm, my pumps will usually run for about 10-15 seconds and then turn off for a few minutes.

Advertisement

ed3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

A lot of money to run just two pumps.
Far more worth while figuring out why the waters getting in and fixing that.

Working gutters, grade running away from the house, no mulch piled up againt the house, no flower beds forming ponds up againt the house.
Installing a french drain outside can go a long way to getting rid of the problum.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

My gutters are new (and cleaned), my ground is sloped away from the house for the first 3 feet. I also have a thick layer of plastic on an angle away from the house running under the soil. No mulch or flowers. The first 18 inches is sloped dirt, the next 18 inches is a rock bed to move the water.

I just don't have a french drain. The water isn't a problem until I get into a hurricane or heavy storm situation and I lose power.
ed3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 824

You need a generator panel. I've hooked up Sump pumps with a car type battery back up.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
You need a generator panel. .
Why? Just run extension cords to each pump...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,040

A 3kW generator will probably handle both pumps. The only way to know for sure is to actually test it, though.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 824

True. I made a patch panel for my genny for extension cords.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
True. I made a patch panel for my genny for extension cords.
The OP's intent was only two appliances, so it only made sense to keep it simple.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Most gennys these days are built to handle an initial inrush. So your 3000w gen may handle 4500w on startup. Check the data sheet for the genny your purchasing.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
I want to purchase a portable generator to run the 2 sump pumps in my house in the event of a power outage. One is in the front of my house and one is in the back. (I do not have a french drain, so they aren't pulling from the same water source.) I do not plan to run anything else.

I'm not sure if the sump pumps are 1/3 or 1/2 HP, but I used an inline amp meter and I know that one pump pulls a continuous draw of 12 amps, while the other pulls a continuous 10 amps.

I'm looking to size out a generator, but I'm having trouble doing so due to the starting amp draw. (I don't know what the draw is, as I didn't install these pumps and I can't find any model numbers on them.)

22 amps yields somewhere around 2600 watts when both are running at the same time. A small, 3000 watt generator would be able to handle that continuous wattage. The startup wattage draw is more confusing to me, because what happens if the two pumps start at the same time? I do not know the odds of that happening and I don't know if the startup draw would pull for 1 second or 1 millisecond. (The shorter the startup time, the less likely that the 2 would overlap.)

During a storm, my pumps will usually run for about 10-15 seconds and then turn off for a few minutes.
A 3Kva genny will supply the running current ok !
But what about the starting current ?
Some gennys can handle overloads if they are breif !
But not all modern ones will be so happy.
The older ones cope pretty well.

So what genny are you going to use ?
Can it handle the starting current ?
If not, you will have to go with probably a 5Kva minimum.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,074

Provided the 3KW gen in question is an actual mechanical unit coupled to an engine (and not one of those new-fangled electronic inverter types), it'll very likely start both pumps at the same time.

Sump pumps start fairly easily and even though the starting current surge is huge, it lasts only a short time.

A 3KW gen will produce more like 8KW for a half-second or so, the main limitation here is the inertia of the engine and gen rotor.

Advertisement

micromind is online now   Reply With Quote