Pop Up Camper Fridge Replacement - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

pop up camper fridge replacement

Our 95 Palomino pop up camper fridge is in need of replacement. Now that the dorm style fridges are on sale I thought I would take on the project. Silly me assumed it would be as easy as unplugging the old and plugging in the new. It seems I will have to cut off the 3 prong plug and attach the wires to the existing outlet. First I'm wondering if this can be done with just a 1.7 cu. ft. dorm fridge? The existing fridge is a 'Dandy' brand 115v fridge the only thing I'm concerned with is the old fridge has a pretty long cord and I'm afraid the dorm fridge cord will be shorter, I'm getting ahead of myself. First and foremost is this a safe thing to do if the voltage from both fridges is the same? Any other reasons why I couldnt attempt this?

thanks

Advertisement

pamelajo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

Is your old fridge a 3 way fridge, if so you will have to get rid of the gas line and the DC voltage line.

I would be carefull about putting a dorn fridge in a tight compartment because the heat has to leave from somehwere and if that is the back of the fridge your cabinet could get very warm.

Advertisement

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Do you have a Danby brand unit? They make various small refrigerator units. There is probably already allowance for ventilation - check to be sure. What is the existing 3 prong outlet if differenct from a normal household 115v outlet - is that it's hardwired? If hardwired and the cord on the new unit is too short, maybe the way to go is to open up the new refrigerator and see how the existing cord is attached there - and replace the entire cord with longer wire.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote