Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Poorly wired circuit breaker load center.. HELPP

I joined this forum just now because I have a really badly wired circuit breaker, obviously.

Here's a breakdown of what I'm trying to do;

I have three separate receptacles that are not in working order. Two receptacles are 20 amp outlets and the last is actually two 15 amp outlets, totaling 30 amps for that single receptacle. My circuit breaker consists of three switches and space for one more. Apparently, my entire home is wired to only ONE of these switches, which is a single-pole 1inch 15 amp breaker. These other two, unused switches are single-pole 1inch 20 amp breakers. I'm trying to restore power to all of the receptacles and breakers, but have absolutely no clue how to rewire the load center correctly and efficiently.

Can anyone please lend me a helping hand?

homediyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Wow...not much information to help with a big problem.

How do you know the problem is at the load center and not with the branch circuit wiring?

The way in which you are describing your problem leads me to believe that you have no clue about home electrical systems. I would suggest calling an electrician. To troubleshoot this on the internet will be next to impossible.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Resi EC

How old is the service? Do you have a photo of load center with cover off?

If the entire house is on one single pole breaker and you have a few receptacles not working, why do you believe its the breakers?

Could be loose connection some where
Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Wow...not much information to help with a big problem.

How do you know the problem is at the load center and not with the branch circuit wiring?

The way in which you are describing your problem leads me to believe that you have no clue about home electrical systems. I would suggest calling an electrician. To troubleshoot this on the internet will be next to impossible.
The only problem at the load center is only one breaker is being used to power the entire house. Too much load on one breaker will constantly trip or blow them. I may not know much, but it's enough to know that that isn't really a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gac66610 View Post
How old is the service? Do you have a photo of load center with cover off?

If the entire house is on one single pole breaker and you have a few receptacles not working, why do you believe its the breakers?

Could be loose connection some where
I mean, I never said the faulty receptacles have to do with the breakers, it's just the simple fact that it would make a lot more sense to bring the other two breakers online, possibly add another and rewire the load center to utilize all the breakers and divide the load from one breaker switch into three, potentially four other breaker switches, and then fix the wall outlets. Service is old, about 8 or 9 years. Currently do not have a photo, but if you really want one then sure.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Are there wires to the other two breakers?

You are telling us that 3 receptacles in the home are not working...of which 2 are 20A recepts and 1 15A recept. Somehow you are coming to the conclusion that the breaker is overloaded. I don't know how you are coming to this conclusion. Can you get these recepts to work at all? Or are they always not working.

Your second post doesn't make me think you know what you are talking about anymore than your first. Do you own this property?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Licensed Electrician

If this property only has one circuit, then there isn't much you are going to be able to do easily to separate the receptacles onto new circuits without running new wire and fishing to existing receptacles, unless there is a bunch of wires spliced at or near the panel.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Are there wires to the other two breakers?

You are telling us that 3 receptacles in the home are not working...of which 2 are 20A recepts and 1 15A recept. Somehow you are coming to the conclusion that the breaker is overloaded. I don't know how you are coming to this conclusion. Can you get these recepts to work at all? Or are they always not working.

Your second post doesn't make me think you know what you are talking about anymore than your first. Do you own this property?
Quote:
If this property only has one circuit, then there isn't much you are going to be able to do easily to separate the receptacles onto new circuits without running new wire and fishing to existing receptacles, unless there is a bunch of wires spliced at or near the panel.

Not too sure if there are wires in the other two. What I am telling you is that the receptacles aren't working at all, and are not related to the load center. The load center itself is something completely separate. I've established that the recepts need to be replaced and have nothing to do with the issue I'm facing with the load center. On the other hand, separating the receptacles onto new circuits would then relate one to the other, but that's not what i'm worried about now.
Another thing I feel like I should say is that I never said the breaker was overloaded, although I did mention the risk of the breaker overloading because my property is wired to a single breaker.

You can stop pointing out the fact that I don't know much about home electrical systems, I said something very much like that in my first post, "but have absolutely no clue how to rewire the load center correctly and efficiently."
Old 09-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

How do you know that one of the other two breakers in the panel don't control these 3 receptacles?

It could be a loose splice or bad connection. It could be in the last working receptacle, the first non working receptacle, or somewhere else.

Since you didn't mention where these receptacles are, I will point out that even tho these receptacles may not be a GFI, they could be GFI protected. Press the test button and reset button on all GFI's in the home. Then check the receptacles again.

How many square feet is this home? I have a very hard time believing that an entire home is on just one breaker, no matter how small it is. Even apartments have more than one breaker.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Do you have a stove, water heater, a/c?
There is no way you only have one breaker feeding you house.
You have another panel somewhere in the house that could be the problem you are trying to fix.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #10

That's a good question. I don't know that for sure, but seeing as how every other room is linked to just one, i assume it's all under one breaker.

I thought that as well, but I need to get the entire load center working to effectively resolve that issue.

Two receptacles are in the living room, one is in the kitchen. None of the recepts have test/reset buttons, whether they are working or not, for the exception of the only recept in the bathroom.

My apartment is around 900sq/ft and yeah, I'm not surprised that you don't believe me. The wiring is a mess and very, very sloppy. Almost as if it was done on purpose.

Only one panel with 3 breakers, space for one more. With every light on, and night lights in each wall outlet, only one breaker turns them off. Just one.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #11

please post a pic of the panel

if its a rental call the landlord. dont try to fix anything
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by homediyguy View Post
That's a good question. I don't know that for sure, but seeing as how every other room is linked to just one, i assume it's all under one breaker.

I thought that as well, but I need to get the entire load center working to effectively resolve that issue.

Two receptacles are in the living room, one is in the kitchen. None of the recepts have test/reset buttons, whether they are working or not, for the exception of the only recept in the bathroom.

My apartment is around 900sq/ft and yeah, I'm not surprised that you don't believe me. The wiring is a mess and very, very sloppy. Almost as if it was done on purpose.

Only one panel with 3 breakers, space for one more. With every light on, and night lights in each wall outlet, only one breaker turns them off. Just one.
I wrote down the underline which that is the word apartment just stop right there and get ahold of landlord and have them get the electrician to come out and get this fixed this is more than a simple repair there.

Most apartment like that small will have 2 circuits for sure but one ? that kinda cross the line for most place I know. Even over here in France with small apartments we have minum of 3 circuits total.

Merci,
Marc