DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Pool wiring

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  jersey5.0 
#1 ·
Hello,
I just had my fiberglass pool installed and it is now time for the electric. So far I have passed my bonding inspection and need to move on. I've trenched 20 inches down and am running #6 thwn (2 blk, 1 wht,1 grn) in 1 inch conduit to a 125a panel with dual timers. I will be hooking up a 1hp filter pump, 3/4 hp vacum pump, and pool lighting. The motors will both be 220 and 110 for the lights. My question is do I need to use GFCB's for each individual circuit in the subpanel or does using one at the main panel where I am pulling the feeder from suffice? Also, I have an exterior outlet on the back of my house that is 16 ft from the pool. I know the distance is within the 20 ft requirement. The outlet is a non-gfi outlet in a weather proof box, but is on the same circuit that has a gfi outlet as the first outlet coming from the main panel. Will this suffice for my pool outlet?

Thanks, Brian

#2 ·
1) Yes you can use one GFI breaker to feed the panel, though I do not reccommend it. I would spring for the extra branch breakers. If you have a problem you can isolate it without having the whole panel down.

2) The existing convenience receptacle is perffectly fine. It does not have to be a GFI device. It just has to be GFI protected.

#3 ·
Thanks Speedy for that quick responce. Let me ask you one more thing. In my pool subpanel I have a neutral bar and a ground bar. Obviously the pigtail for the GFCB would go to the neutral bar in the pool sub panel. In my main panel the neutrals and the grounds all seem to go to the same bars. Would the GFCB that is for the feeder hook to the same bar that the grounds and the neutrals are all hooked to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.