DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

pool timer/ pool pump hook-up

17K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  220/221 
#1 ·
I am trying to connect a pool pump to a pool timer.
The pump is a 1.5 HP hayward super pump and the timer is a Intermatic T104-P203
The motor has 1Red/1Black/1White/1bare copper wire
The electrical supply is 220V (1Red/1White/1Black/1 bare solid copper

In the timer box there are 5 terminals that are marked as such.

A 1 2 3 4
Line Load Line Load

Can anyone tell me what wires go where?

#2 · (Edited)
EDIT. I see that the timer is for a two speed motor. The wiring is different than a single speed.

You will need to look at the wiring diagram to determine exactly how to wire this unit. There are a couple varibles.

OK....I just looked at mine.

Supply side.

Black to terminal "A" in timer

Red to BOTH lines (short jumper wire installed between them)

White is not requires. Cap it off.

Load side depends on how your black, red and white are terminated in the motor.

Terminal "A" in timer to "common" in motor.
Load (#2) to low speed
Load (#4) to high speed.

Green or bare wires are tied together and landed on any green terminals or lugs that are attached to the metal enclosures.

Also, you need to have a disconnect method close by. If your pool panel is close by (in sight) the breaker will suffice. If not, you will need to install a double pole switch to kill power before the timer.

#3 ·
This is the wiring that is in the timer box. The Black wire from the panel box (power source) is attached to the #1 terminal screw (line 1). The Red wire from the panel box is attached to the #3 terminal screw (line 2). The White wire from the panel box is attached to the ground screw in timer box.

To what terminals do the Black/Red/White wires of the motor go?

Also, you need to have a disconnect method close by. If your pool panel is close by (in sight) the breaker will suffice. If not, you will need to install a double pole switch to kill power before the timer.[/quote]

#5 · (Edited)
OK.

If you have a two speed motor, follow my instructions in post two.

If you have a single speed motor, the "lines" (incoming power) are already hooked up right.

The "loads" send the 240V power to the motor on two wires (probably red and black but you will have to open the motor JB to check).

Where do the small white wires to the timer motor terminate?

In a single speed motor timer, from the factory, they will terminate on the LINE terminals. In a two speed timer, they go to A and line 2.

The White wire from the panel box is attached to the ground screw in timer box.
That is incorrect. The white is extra/not applicable. The bare or green is the ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.