Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Pool subpanel questions

I'm running a 40A feeder from the main panel in my unfinished basement to an outdoor subpanel. The subpanel will supply a pool pump, chlorinator, underwater light, and utility outlets. Before going any further I'd like to ask a few questions to make sure I haven't screwed up yet or planned anything stupid. Here's what's going on:

I've already dug part of a trench 24 deep and begun laying both 1 and 1.25 conduit. I had to bury part of the conduit already, because the trench ran close to some porch piers and I didn't want to leave that area excavated for long. The top of the conduit will be at least 18 below grade along the entire run.

The feeder will run about 110' outside in 1.25 conduit on #8 THWN (black, red, white) and an insulated #10 ground (green). Inside, it will run about 40' along the exposed joists. Can I switch to 8/3 NM or UF cable inside? 680.25 seems to say no.

Where the conduit comes out the back of the LB fitting and into the basement, how should it be connected to a junction box inside? Do I need to drill the hole in the wall large enough to have a male threaded fitting on the conduit, or can just I drill a hole in the back of a junction box and mount it so the end of the conduit protrudes in?

Is a disconnect switch for the feeder required at the subpanel? If so, can I backfeed into the panel through a 40A breaker, or is a separate disconnect switch the right way to do it?

I plan to hardwire the pump and chlorinator in the same circuit, because 2-pole 20A GFCI breakers are expensive. Can I use #12 THWN in liquid tight flexible PVC conduit from the subpanel to a junction box, and from the junction box to both devices for this?

Thanks!

Last edited by Simbilis; 04-23-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Simbilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

Rewards Points: 250

Pool subpanel questions

The pvc needs to go from maim panel to the subpanel. The pump needs to be gfi protected, as well pool lights except for low voltage.
The cost of of a 2 pole GFI breaaker is far cheaper than having an accident from occuring.

NJMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NJMarine For This Useful Post:
Simbilis (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Pool subpanel questions

Every circuit in the subpanel will be GFCI protected. I'm just hoping it's possible to feed both the pump and the chlorinator from the same 2-pole GFCI breaker.
Simbilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,020

Pool subpanel questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbilis View Post
I'm just hoping it's possible to feed both the pump and the chlorinator from the same 2-pole GFCI breaker.
Typically this is fine. Same goes for a salt/chlorine generator.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Simbilis (04-23-2011)