Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Oldbie

Share |

Pool Sub Panel wire / conduit questions

Hello experts...

I am wiring a Pool Sub panel on the back corner of my house, the distance from my main to the exit point of the structure is 22 inches, through one framing stud.

My main is in a finished basement. I have removed the wall board between the main and the back corner of the house and have one stud to go through. Then the sub is mounted on the outside 3ft from the corner of the house. The sub panel is rated at 125v It came with a 220v 50a GFIB and I am adding two 120v GFIB in the sub. Sooooo. Here are my questions;

1. coming out of my main to the exit point of my framed wall I believe I need a 6/3 + bare AWG romex type of wire, which then splices into the 6 awg THWN (2 hot legs, 1 common, 1 ground?) and goes to the lugs, grounding and neutral bars in the Sub. It seems terrible that I have to splice the two types of wire for such a short run but I want to be in compliance and safe. Thoughts?

2. If I do have to splice the two, then where is the best place to spice- just inside of the house in a box (this could be bad as the wall would hide the access unless I modifed it) or can the spice be in a LW or other type of watertight junction box on the outside of the house. THANK YOU, DIY AL

Al the Diy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Electrician

is the new panel being monted right to the house? if so then why splice? also, why even use a panel? where is the pool located? and what equipment are you wiring?

Personally, wiring a pool is not a DIY project...

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #3

You cannot feed a pool panel with cable.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
You cannot feed a pool panel with cable.
This is correct, thanks I completely overlooked the fact that he wanted to use NM....
Old 02-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Oldbie

Okay, you say no NM, then is it THWN all the way? and if so, Do I run it in conduit inside my wall for the 22" or can I just go through the stud like you can with a 12/2 or other cable? Have to use sub, as my main is nearly full. Thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
Floor Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Diy guy View Post
Okay, you say no NM, then is it THWN all the way? and if so, Do I run it in conduit inside my wall for the 22" or can I just go through the stud like you can with a 12/2 or other cable?
THHN / THWN has to be in conduit the whole way. You cannot run it through studs like NM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I agree. If you attempt this, you should review NEC article 680 on pools.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Oldbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
is the new panel being monted right to the house? if so then why splice? also, why even use a panel? where is the pool located? and what equipment are you wiring?

Chris, the panel is mounted to the house but on a painted board that has the rest of the boxes (saltwater control, timer, low voltage transformer for pool light) Plus the panel acts as the breaker and as the visible disconnect/shutoff required by code. Pool is 21 ft away from panel a 20x40x10 deep inground. I have done everything myself, from digging the hole to mixing the cement so far. my equipment = 220 15a two speed two horse hayward pump. 220v 2.5 amp duo clear salt system, 300 watt 12v transformer powering a 12v 300 wat colorlogic led underwater pool light.

I have all my other connections complete, electrical inspection is tuesday 5 Feb. Thanks

Last edited by Al the Diy guy; 02-02-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Oldbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkcollector View Post
THHN / THWN has to be in conduit the whole way. You cannot run it through studs like NM.

I agree. If you attempt this, you should review NEC article 680 on pools.

Junkcollector, thanks, I have read 680, but it doesn't tell me how to power the sub panel, just how it has to be from the panel to the pool equipment.
So lets look at this..... On the outside of my house my conduit is 3/4' pvc LB box-2ft grey pvc coupled to 1ft liquid tight (to make the bend, (90 sweep was too big) into the sub panel.

Correct me please......PVC cannot go from the outs LB box on the outside to the main by going the 22 inches through my wall right? so do I have to use metal conduit on the inside? I saw some LB boxes that had screws in the couplings to accept metal conduit. Confused

Last edited by Al the Diy guy; 02-02-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
Floor Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Diy guy View Post
So lets look at this..... On the outside of my house my conduit is 3/4' pvc LB box-2ft grey pvc coupled to 1ft liquid tight (to make the bend, (90 sweep was too big) into the sub panel.

Correct me please......PVC cannot go from the outs LB box on the outside to the main by going the 22 inches through my wall right? so do I have to use metal conduit on the inside? I saw some LB boxes that had screws in the couplings to accept metal conduit. Confused
I'm confused now... All I meant is that the individual THHN wires cannot go through studs. PVC conduit can go through the wall. All LB covers need to remain accessible.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
Eibwen

Can you mount the sub panel inside and just use switches for the service disconnects outside at the pool equiptment?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Oldbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkcollector View Post
I'm confused now... All I meant is that the individual THHN wires cannot go through studs. PVC conduit can go through the wall. All LB covers need to remain accessible.

Junkcollector, Sorry for the confusion I see posts saying NO PVC inside of homes...The LB conduit body will be accessible as it is on the outside of the house. My problem is that I must run the THHN /THWN in conduit inside the wall, but it is my understanding that it cannot be PVC once inside the house, so I must transitions to RMT or maybe I can us ENT (the stuff some folks call "Smurf tube"

I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO BUILD A POOL ON MY OWN.....BUT I AM STUCK ON A 22 INCH WIRE RUN Thanks for all your help it is greatly appriciated..

Last edited by Al the Diy guy; 02-02-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #12
Oldbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Can you mount the sub panel inside and just use switches for the service disconnects outside at the pool equiptment?
Sammy, Thought about that, but I don't think I want all that equipment in my game room (thats where my Main is located) I kinda want a "Pool control central" right where the pump, filter, valves and solar controls are
Old 02-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
Oldbie

Okay, I see it now....3/4 ENT out of the main to the LB conduit body secured at the main with a ENT snap Coupling and at the LB with glue, liquid tight from the LB to the subpanel. 1 red, 1 black, 1 white 6 AWG Thhn/thwn and 1 green 8 AWG thhn/thwn run from main to sub in conduit system...Any problems with this...THanks guys
Old 02-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #14
Eibwen

I know the feeling!

I gotta do some work on mine come early spring. Thinking about switching back to a salt system. Would love the solar collector but here in Va it warms up pretty quick.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
Electrician

Personally, this is how I tackle any in ground swimming pool, I install the remote panel at the pool equipment, then either hardwire the equipment or install receptacles for each piece of equipment... but with the panel so close to the equipment it makes it a snap... I live in the northeast so the pool pumps need to go inside in the winter so they all get cords, 3' is the maximum cord length...