Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Share |

Pool, Multiple Grounds and GFI

I recently bought a house with an inground pool and came across a wiring configuration that I believe is incorrectly executed, based on a few things I heard in the past about multiple grounds. The wiring to the pool pump seems to be exemplary in some respects: a breaker box GFI and metal conduit all the way to the external wet-location box. However, here's what I found in the box, grounding-wise:
  1. an insulated green ground wire from the breaker box
  2. a heavy copper ground wire that goes from the box to a grounding rod nearby
  3. a ground wire in the pump wire bundle
All three are clamped together using a grounding block that's bolted to the side of the box. Additionally, there is a heavy copper ground wire going from the grounding rod directly to a grounding terminal on the pump motor shell.

Is this going to defeat or compromise the function of the GFI having what seems to be three ground paths with potential differences between all of them?

Thanks for the help,
Phil

xcplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Master Electrician

Sounds correct to me. Equipment grounds should be tied together as well as bonding connectors. The ground rod is superfulous and really useless. GFCIs do not need equipment grounds to operate properly. It is possible that the wire to the ground rod is attached to the equipotential grid of the pool system. Are you sure it is a ground rod and not a rebar?

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

First, the gfci does not need a ground to operate.
Second, all the grounds are bonded, meaning at the same porential.
I see no problem with what you have.

brric beat me by that much!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #4

Thanks for the info, brric. As a pool newbie, I don't know about pool grounding. I saw the wire going into the dirt and assumed there was a rod down there. The ground wire off of the pump shell also heads in that direction so it sounds quite possible that there is some sort of pool arrangement. The equipotential grid you mention, is that a method of connecting the rebar/wire in a pool structure to ground?
xcplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

The equipotential grid is to ensure there is no difference in potential between objects between the pool and the surrounding area. This way when you step out or touch something metal you should not get shocked.
xcplanet (04-05-2010)
Old 04-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcplanet View Post
Thanks for the info, brric. As a pool newbie, I don't know about pool grounding. I saw the wire going into the dirt and assumed there was a rod down there. The ground wire off of the pump shell also heads in that direction so it sounds quite possible that there is some sort of pool arrangement. The equipotential grid you mention, is that a method of connecting the rebar/wire in a pool structure to ground?
All metallic parts on or within 5' of the pool, including ladders, pool lights, rebar, reinforcing wire, diving board mounts, etc.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gfi grounding pool wet