Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #1

Share |

Pool light voltage problem

Hi people,

I have a pool ligt that gets no voltage at the socket. Tracing it back, Im thinking it has to be the transformer box a few feet behind the pool light/wall. How do I tackle it?

Do I first check for voltage at the exit from the box? What should the V be? 110v? 12v?

Next, if no V at the exit of the box, I should check for v BEFORE the box, right? That should be 110v, right?

It is an older AJ Giammanco Model MT-300. It says max 300w......

Thanks!!

noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #2

Data at:
http://www.aqua-pool-warehouse.com/C...afety_Volt.asp

says: MT-300 has 12-13-14 volts AC at secondary (120 v primary).

So, you'd have 120 v AC coming into the transformer from your power line, and 12-14 v AC coming out to the light.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

All the pool luminaires circuits are protected with GFCI breaker or receptale one of the two and if this transfomer is plug in type check with a other working item to plug in like a drill or something to run but if hardwired which I know pretty good percentage will be hardwired so you have to be extra carefull with connections.

You will need a NCV tester to verify if you have power there if so then get a real DVM or neon test light to make sure you have power on primary side which it should ring in about 120 volts once you verifed then check the secondary side which it will be anywhere from 12 to 14 volts that part you will need to use the DVM to read the voltage on that.

Once you verifyed that transfomer do have power at both primary and secondary side then you will have to find a junction box near pool wall it will useally a bronze box type and check the connections there and verify the voltage there and make sure all the connections are good.

This one of few area you have to be extra carefull with any electrical system in pool area.

If you have more question just holler one of us will help ya.

Merci.
Marc
Old 12-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #4

Thanks, guys. I will look into this asap. I'll have to open up that box somehow........screws i guess.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #5

Opened up box, and NO voltage on the "in" side! Breakers are all fine. Doesnt this has to be maybe a cut wire, ? Pool pump is running fine. Im guessing maybe I somehow cut the wire ? At the box, there is a conduit, but not sure how deep it goes.

Any idea will be appreciated!!! Im a gonna dig now........
Old 12-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #6

Yipeeeee, I found the switch that operates the power to the box! Kinda stupid. Yeah, its been so long I forgot that a switch turns it on/off. So, yes, I have 110 v at box. Now, as soon as weather gets better (an hour or so), I will check for the 12-14v. I really think the box is dead. Oh, I dont see any kind of GFI thing on it, but it is outside the pool wall, so I dont think shock will be a problem.