Pool Light Troubleshooting - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Just a DIY guy

Rewards Points: 250
Question

pool light troubleshooting

I have an in-ground pool with two lights, one for the pool and the other for the spa. At some point they stopped working. THere is a subpanel by my pool equipment, marked "pool lights." when I switch the breaker, my non-contact voltage tester reads hot when the breaker is on, and dead when the breaker is tripped, so it seems I have power there. (I did not pull the panel off yet, just held the tester up against the breaker)

I pulled the cover off of the light switches, and there is no power there.

Unfortunately, there is a large expanse of concrete patio between the switches and the subpanel (and even the main panel), and all the wires run underneath it.

I'm kind of lost on how to troubleshoot this, are there any tricks to troubleshooting this type of problem?

FYI - I have a non-contact voltage tester and a cheapo digital multimeter, and have done some simple wiring projects like running circuits for new receptacles.

Advertisement

M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,120

pool light troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pete View Post
I have an in-ground pool with two lights, one for the pool and the other for the spa. At some point they stopped working. THere is a subpanel by my pool equipment, marked "pool lights." when I switch the breaker, my non-contact voltage tester reads hot when the breaker is on, and dead when the breaker is tripped, so it seems I have power there. (I did not pull the panel off yet, just held the tester up against the breaker)

I pulled the cover off of the light switches, and there is no power there.

Unfortunately, there is a large expanse of concrete patio between the switches and the subpanel (and even the main panel), and all the wires run underneath it.

I'm kind of lost on how to troubleshoot this, are there any tricks to troubleshooting this type of problem?

FYI - I have a non-contact voltage tester and a cheapo digital multimeter, and have done some simple wiring projects like running circuits for new receptacles.

If the pool lights are run directly back to the sub panel, I would eliminate the switches out of the picture by wiring the lights directly to the breakers and see if they work. You have to start somewhere, also, where is the GFCI protection located? Is that tripped? Take some pictures of your setup, will help big time on troubleshooting this for you.

Advertisement

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote