DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Pool light Junction Box

11K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Stubbie 
#1 ·
Anyone want to take a stab at 680.24 Does this say I MUST have a junction box for my pool light (luminare) I have a 12v LED on 50ft of cable that I was going to terminate in the transformer. But I am thinking this is a violation as I read Mike Holts "Authors Comment" "

(B) Transformer or Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Enclosure. Where the enclosure for a transformer or GFCI is connected to a conduit that extends directly to the underwater pool, spa, or hot tub luminaire forming shell, the J box shall comply with the following:
(1) Construction. The enclosure shall be listed for the purpose, and be:
(1) Equipped with threaded entries or a nonmetallic hub,
(2) Constructed of copper, brass, or approved corrosion-resistant material, and
(3) Provided with electrical continuity between all metal conduit and the grounding terminals.

Author’s Comment: There are no listed enclosures for transformers or GFCI protection devices that meet the above requirement. This requirement should stop the practice of terminating the conduit that extends directly from the underwater light to a panelboard or low-voltage transformer. "

So I guess I MUST HAVE the deck box huh??? Crap now I have to figure out where to put it....perhaps under the diving board??:huh:

See less See more
#3 ·
So I guess I MUST HAVE the deck box huh??? Crap now I have to figure out where to put it....perhaps under the diving board??:huh:
Yes you must. Under the board was a very common place, when boards were common.

#7 · (Edited)
Sorry Al you are correct a flush mount deck box is allowed in your case. There really is no differences in a flush mount or an above deck box other than there are different covers. I saw an intermatic version at HD but any electrical supply or pool sales store will have them. Online is great See below

#9 · (Edited)
Al

I have one of these (below link) if your interested it is a solid brass one from a renovation we did a year or so ago. It is used but in good condition just need to figure out how to ship it if you want it. Send me a private message if your interested. I'm not wanting anything for it just want to get it out of my garage....:) The one I have has two threaded entries in the bottom so you can flush mount it..

http://www.hydrel.com/Products/Family.asp?ProductType=Underwater&Category=Underwater%20Accessories&Family=JB1719

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.