Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #1

Share |

Pool bonding grid

i have installed a new inground pool. the cement is poured and done... I forgot to use a bonding wire to the pool walls... HELP! where can i attach a bonding wire?

Our4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Pool bonding grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our4boys View Post
... I forgot to use a bonding wire to the pool walls... HELP! where can i attach a bonding wire?
Break up the concrete and attach to the walls like you were supposed to. And the wet niche. And the ladder cups. And the hand rail cups. And the surface grid. Etc... Etc....

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Pool bonding grid

Ya have to knock the part of concrete to get into the rebar and you have to bring the bonding conductor out to the wet niche luminiare , pool ladders, pool pump and few others.

You will have to check with the NEC code on this one it kinda long list but you must follow this to order to meet the NEC requirement.

And when you bring the power for pool pump and luminaires there are specfic part in the code you have to follow. { sorry the UF cable is NOT allowed on this useage }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Electrician

Pool bonding grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Break up the concrete and attach to the walls like you were supposed to. And the wet niche. And the ladder cups. And the hand rail cups. And the surface grid. Etc... Etc....
And don't forget to bond the water too
Old 08-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Pool bonding grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
And don't forget to bond the water too
if a person didn't know better, they might think you are joking because of the laughing smilies. Obviously we know that the water actually does have to be bonded as well.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Pool bonding grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I think the OP is recovering from his heart attack ......

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Electrician

Pool bonding grid

I found another post of his saying he was in Ontario.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Pool bonding grid

Quote:
I found another post of his saying he was in Ontario.
So, does that mean CEC doesn't require the water to be bonded? I don't know what they do north of the border.

I did find this. I don't know if it is the actual verbiage from the CEC or a summary. If it is the actual verbiage, I'm going to Canada to work. Their code is written in plain English.

Quote:
The metal parts of the pool and other non-electrical equipment associated with the pool such as
piping, pool reinforcing steel, ladders, diving board supports, and fences within 1.5 m (4.92 feet) of
the pool shall be bonded together and connected to non-current-carrying metal parts of electrical
equipment such as decorative type pool lighting fixtures not located in a forming shell, metal screens
or shield for underwater speakers, conduit, junction boxes and the like, by a copper conductor not
smaller than No. 6 AWG, which shall be connected to the main panel ground or ground electrode at
the house.

Last edited by nap; 08-06-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
Electrician

Pool bonding grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
So, does that mean CEC doesn't require the water to be bonded? I don't know what they do north of the border.
I'm not really sure about the Canadian code. It's probably not as silly as ours.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Pool bonding grid

If he has a metal ladder that will suffice for the water bond if that ladder is bonded to the EPBG.

Stubbie
Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Pool bonding grid

Quote:
I'm not really sure about the Canadian code. It's probably not as silly as ours.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem anyway to get hold of a copy or view it on line. But whether ours is silly compared to theirs is hard to say but I agree the CEC language seems much more readable to a field electrician.

Lets all go work for NAP once he sets up shop ... hope he pays mileage....

Stubbie
Old 08-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Pool bonding grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post

Lets all go work for NAP once he sets up shop ... hope he pays mileage....
FLSA laws don't require payment of mileage from home to the first job or from the last job back home. . The rest; got it covered.

and around here, work is something we talk about a lot.

We talk what it was like when we had work and talk about hoping we will once again have work.

Right now, a lot of us just don't have jobs though. Dang, I even created a term to describe my current status: pseudo-retired. It looks like I'm retired because I don't go to work. Sounds better than unemployed or laid off.

Actually, I do have a short job (maybe a month). I went out as a spaghetti guy. Pulling wire for security, fire alarm, and building control. Not quite as much as a wireman (electrician) but not bad and honestly, the work is easier. Very little pipe. Not supposed to run over 15 feet of pipe in any one run. Just stub ups and things like that. Heck, I walk in with a pair of Kleins, a couple screwdrivers, some tape, and my most important tool; a Sharpie marker. The rest of the tools set in my truck.

Last edited by nap; 08-07-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:39 AM   #13
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Pool bonding grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
FLSA laws don't require payment of mileage from home to the first job or from the last job back home. . The rest; got it covered.

and around here, work is something we talk about a lot.

We talk what it was like when we had work and talk about hoping we will once again have work.

Right now, a lot of us just don't have jobs though. Dang, I even created a term to describe my current status: pseudo-retired. It looks like I'm retired because I don't go to work. Sounds better than unemployed or laid off.

Actually, I do have a short job (maybe a month). I went out as a spaghetti guy. Pulling wire for security, fire alarm, and building control. Not quite as much as a wireman (electrician) but not bad and honestly, the work is easier. Very little pipe. Not supposed to run over 15 feet of pipe in any one run. Just stub ups and things like that. Heck, I walk in with a pair of Kleins, a couple screwdrivers, some tape, and my most important tool; a Sharpie marker. The rest of the tools set in my truck.
Yeah I'm retired UAW so believe me I know the beating you guys in the workforce are taking in Michigan. I feel your pain. Hope your future has a light at the end of the tunnel. I was fortunate to have a decent day job and a darn good second job for many years this allowed me to retire at the ripe age of 55.

Stubbie