Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #1

Share |

Polarized plug light fixture- Hardwire to home electrical?

Purchased an undercounter light for kitchen to replace old flourescent, got it home before noticing it has 2 prong polarized plug. I intended to connect to existing home electrical system. Can I remove polarized plug and attach to home electrical?

timdavis3824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Maybe. Read the manual. It should indicate how. if it doesn't you have two options. 1) Install an outlet 2) Remove the wire and plug and use your existing romex into the fixture. The fixture may have a knock-out for a romex connector and you can make your connection inside the fixture. If its a metal fixture you may be able to make a hole for a romex connector (cable clamp) and be OK. Remember, white to white, black to black, ground to ground DO NOT run your lamp cord into a box and splice it into your house wiring.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #3

Crud. The romex that connected to the previously existing fixture are not quite long enough to feed directly to the new fixture. When I get home I will try to see if there is some slack that can be pulled out. Just a couple inches short right now. Thank you for advising not to splice the lamp cord to the house wiring because that is exactly what I did not realizing it was an issue! I will find a way to hook directly to the fixture.
timdavis3824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

If you have room you may be better off installing a surface mounted outlet box and an outlet where your wire is then plug in your new fixture.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote