Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #1

Share |

Polarized cord is ground still necessary?

Wired up a box fan to be run with a variable controller. The control has a ground wire that I'm not sure what to do with. I specifically made sure to wire the cord wide blade (neutral wire) directly to the motor while the short blade (hot wire) to the control and back to the motor. Do I still need to ground the control?

Sliding Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Electrician

Yes, if the control has exposed metal parts that someone could come in contact with. You should change it to a 3 wire cord.

SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliding Man View Post
Wired up a box fan to be run with a variable controller. The control has a ground wire that I'm not sure what to do with. I specifically made sure to wire the cord wide blade (neutral wire) directly to the motor while the short blade (hot wire) to the control and back to the motor. Do I still need to ground the control?
If there is a ground available, connect the ground to it. Either a bare ground wire, green wire, or a metal box. If no ground is available, just put it in the box and don't worry about it. The ground is for your safety, it has nothing to do with the unit operating.

Last edited by jrclen; 08-28-2008 at 06:41 PM.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:19 AM   #4

The control is mounted to the inside of a box fan behind the grill. I doubt anyone would touch the metal parts, but in a way the control is still touching the fan body. If it's better to ground it anyway I'll have to replace the cord.

Last edited by Sliding Man; 08-29-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
Electrician

The control has a ground wire, which means it was meant to be grounded. That being the case, if it's mounted to a metal fan body, then it would be bonded to the case, and now the case is what people can get shocked from...so yes, it should be grounded.
Equipment that is 'double insulated' only uses a 2 wire cord, because all the wiring, terminals, etc. are electrically insulated by plastic, and there isn't any exposed metal that person could get shocked by. Your situation does not sound like that's the case anymore.
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliding Man View Post
The control is mounted to the inside of a box fan behind the grill. I doubt anyone would touch the metal parts, but in a way the control is still touching the fan body. If it's better to ground it anyway I'll have to replace the cord.
Things are becoming a little clearer. I was picturing a wall mounted electric box. I take it this box fan has sentimental value?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #7

Kind of. The fan looked like crap when I saved it from the trash. The motor still worked and ran strong, but it only had one speed at first. So while I was fixing it up I needed to find something that could control the speed. I knew it would be impossible to use it on 'high' all the time.