DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Point of Entry Surge Suppression Question (

eltrigo 06-02-2005 10:53 AM

Point of Entry Surge Suppression Question
Hi guys, newbie here.

My house got fried from an electrical storm weeks ago which prodded me to find surge suppressing options for the house. I stumbled on panel-mounted devices and need a little help.

It appears that there are two ways to protect the point at which juice comes into the house: a surge suppressing panel circuit breaker, and a universally mounted device in or around the panelbox.

I'm thinking the breaker would be easier to install but now I'm finding out that panels/breakers are proprietary. I have a Westinghouse panel with Bryant breakers in it. I'm having difficulty finding suppressors made by these brands at the local hardware shops. Does anyone know if there are any other brands that fit a Westinghouse box? Did a little digging and it *seems* that Cutler Hammer might, can anyone confirm?

If no other brands, then are the universal systems easy enough to install?

Thanks for any help. I don't know squat about electricity, just trying to get my ducks in a row before my electrically-inclined Dad comes into town this weekend to help.;)

jbfan 06-02-2005 07:14 PM

I haven't done any research on them so I can't help. Maybe someone else has.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.