Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #1

Share |

Poco problem or mine?

We had a power outage this past week, finally got power back, sort of. Every light in the house flickers and is really dim. The stove clock works but nothing will actually heat up. Water pump for the well isn't working either.

We checked voltage at the main fuse box(pulled out the panel that houses 2 huge fuses), one hot shows 120v, the other 135v, but, and here's where things get weird, when we check both hots it shows 25, not a typo. Shouldn't that reading be the combo of the two?

If we replace that panel then check at main breaker the readings are 115v and 94-98v, but again both hots together is in the 20-25v range. Readings at any outlet in house are low 90v. What the heck is going on? It's got to be an issue on the power companys side right?

Codyormoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Tileguy

Poco problem or mine?

So call the power company before you allow everything in your home that operates on electricity to be ruined. They all have EMERGENCY numbers. call them.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Poco problem or mine?

Sounds like you have lost one of the incoming legs of your service. Call the POCO and report it as an outage.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #4

Poco problem or mine?

We called them yesterday not long after the power came back on. But we are where the storm hit last weekend, over 670,000 were without power at one point, there's still over 30,000 out, so response time sucks, it was hard enough just to get a real person on the phone.

Thanks for the answers.
Codyormoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #5

Poco problem or mine?

Start by unplugging all electronics, TV's, computers, etc.

Then turn off all 240 volt appliances (including an electric water heater if any). What I suspect will happen is that about half of your circuits (and receptacles) will not be working and the other half will be working okay. To verify that a receptacle is working okay, plug in a 100 watt or so incandescent light (to impose some load) while measuring the voltage. Plug electronics only into a known working receptacle.

Use heavy duty extension cords to connect important appliances such as the refrigerator to working receptacles.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-06-2011 at 06:52 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote