Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Share |

Plug in power box 240v help needed asap

So I been trying to find help and trying not to lose money with a power timer plug in box that I got off craigslist. It is suppose to hook up to the 240v outlet in my shop but the plugs don't match up. Any info would be a great help and thank you
pic1 2 or of plug and 3 is the fuse 4 is the plug outlet and 5 is the fuse for it and if you need anymore info I am right here.

I want to say the plug outlet used to be for a washer or welder or compressor.

CeoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

First off, what is a "power timer plug in box"??

The plug for the box you got off Craigslist is a twist-lock plug. It would never fit into a straight-blade receptacle.
The receptacle you have is most likely for a dryer. This is a 30A 120/240V non-grounding receptacle.

What is this box? Since it has a 20A breaker I assume that is s 20A plug and CANNOT plug into the 30A receptacle.

We need a LOT more info to figure this one out.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #3

Well I posted on craigslist I needed a power supply that I can plug into a 240v outlet. I told them what I wanted to plug into it. A compressor, heater, 2 pumps all about 15 amp needed to get started in the morning. He sold me a Power box that has 8 240v outlets and a timer that runs them and a power box that has the fuses in picture 3 of the first post. All I wanted was to warm up the shop before I got in and didn't know it was going to be this hard. From what I understand is that I got the wrong thing and now I am boned on some cash. Unless someone knows how to fix the problem and info isn't a problem and pictures to.
Is it as simple as changing the fuses and the plug or is it more then that?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #4

Any identifying numbers on that plug? It doesn't look like a 240v plug. Can you post a picture of what you have?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #5

Can I do what this wideo is doing and change the 30amp breaker with a 20amp and then use the 30amp power line already installed in the wall and change the receptacle to a 20amp that matches mine or should I change the 20amp int he plug in box to a 30amp and change the plug to a 30amp wouldn't that just give me more amps to use?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Licensed Electrician

It's posts like these that make me thankful that my state doesn't allow homeowners to do electrical work. I'm sorry, I know this isn't helpful, its just more and more we are seeing people buy whatever they think will work then beg someone to just "make it work because I already spent the money on it".

Do research before making these purchases.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (10-31-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #7

Well K Buz i agree with you. I went the lazy cheap way and now I am learning a lesson about just that. But not to cut myself short, waste my time and HARDED earned cash on a box that right now is a paper weight and just throw it in the yard and give up like a fool. So I went out looking for help on a forums site that like the other ones I am part and help people out with problems. I was wanted to get a little help myself for a change. It to bad that people like you to make it hard for other Americans to find a little human kindness. But thanks for the understanding.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #8

the plug is this

NEMA L6-30P
Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Licensed Electrician

There is so much to this that says "hack" that I don't even know where to start.

A good start would be to post some pictures of the equipment you bought. Does that equipment have overload protection for each receptacle? What do the receptacles look like?

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Licensed Electrician

Is the plug you are holding in picture 1 and 2 attached to the "power timer plug in box?"

Can you take a picture of the above mentioned box? And tell us the size of the cord?

Are the bottom 2 pictures the breaker and the receptacle you wish to plug this box into? If so, you can swap the straight blade receptacle for a twist lock receptacle which will accept the plug in picture 1.

What is the box in picture 3? Back up and take pictures where we can get a better idea of what you have.

I think we can help with more information. Or tell you not to do it if nothing else.

Last edited by jrclen; 10-30-2012 at 09:33 PM.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #11

Thank you everyone that is giving me a hand. When I get up for work I will take pictures and drink my coffee and write down more info for you guys to look over as my shop warms up for the day. I will try to get them post on lunch if I get one, if not it will be after work. Thank you from Washington State.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #12

Where in Washington? Spokane?
jammin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #13

Hello, everyone and Happy Halloween! I am about to take my kids out in the rain to get some candy and have fun. But i wanted to at less stop by and wish you all a safe one his year and drop off more pictures and info I hope you need.

The first one is the power box that is mounted to the board. It has 8 240v outlets just like my compressor, heater and one of my pumps plugs and 4 120v outlets that I don't really need. It also has a timer box and fuse box.

The second is the inside of the power box.

the 3, 4, 5, 6 is the 2 fuses

I also didn't take anymore picture but the plug say 30/250.

thank you for any help you have and if you need more info of any kind please let me know. I will get it to you by afternoon the next day if I don't kill over before. Drive safe tonight kids will be out.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #14

So you want to "Plug In" that whole box/timer/recept thing on a board into a recepticle with that one Nema L6 plug? Is that what you are trying to do?
southernkilowat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #15

Yes southern, I am doing just that. I want to make it so that my shop is set on a timer so when I get in the shop will be ready to go and I don't have to waste a hour drinking coffee and shooting the ****. I got the outlet on top that is a old dry hook-up and i was going to use, But i got the wrong box set up because I was trying to be cheap and lazy.