Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Plug points in wall

Dear all,

First of all, I am a COMPLETE dunce when it comes to electronics so I may be asking a ridiculously stupid question and if so, I apologise

I've been in a rented flat for nearly six months, which has three double plug points in the living room. The lamp is plugged into one of these plug points however one lamp stopped working; fine, I'll just change the lightbulb. But we tried a variety of lightbulbs, none of which worked. So, as the lamp was about three years old, we figured it was the lamp. Buy a brand new lamp from IKEA about two months ago and last week, the lightbulb went. Changed the lightbulb but it didn't work. Tried another lightbulb, it didn't work.

Surely a brand new lamp wouldn't break down this quickly? It's making me think that perhaps there could be something wrong with the plug point as the lamp isn't even three months old. Of course, could be a coincidence but I really don't know.

Is there anything else I could be checking before the electricians get called in?

Thanks so much,
Nicola

NicolaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Plug points in wall

Do you have an electrical meter? Points is a Canadian/ European term, where are you located?

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #3

Plug points in wall

No we don't have a meter, not in the flat itself anyway (all the meters in this block of flats are in a sort of massive cupboard which we can't access without permission). I'm in London England ... sorry, I forgot to check whether this was UK or US based! Hope someone can still advise
Old 10-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,636

Plug points in wall

Did you try plugging the lamp into another plug point?
Did you try plugging something else you know works into the plug point in question?
Did you check the fuse? I believe the fuse is in the plugs in UK.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Plug points in wall

I live in France so I will give you couple quick pointers here I know UK have fused plugs so that will be the first thing you will have to check it out if you are not famuair on replaceing or test it then have someone who is qualifed will do that even a lamp fitting shop will assit you on that.

For the readers The UK still use the Ring circuit AFAIK they are slowly dropping out to standard wiring format and with Ring circuit it is mantory have fused plugs for safety reason.

The fused plug you may see 2 or 3 amp cartage fuse inside the plug.

There are couple differnt verison you will see. some will show real clear and some you will have to split it apart and get into the fuse.

Hope this help ya.

Oh by the way do your power socket still working or luminaires in that room still working if not you will have to reset the RCD or MCCO breaker { there are few case when the bulb burn out and can cause the breaker or fuse to blow out on the distubation panel for your flat you will need to talk to the landlord or manger to assit you on that.

Bon Chance !

Merci,
Marc
Old 10-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #6

Plug points in wall

Hi all,

Thanks so much. To answer questions:

Yep, have checked lamp in other plug points and no, isn't working
Have also checked other electrical devices in plug point where lamp was and they are working.
No, haven't checked the fuse ... I think I'll get someone else to check that as I haven't got a clue what I'm looking for!

Will look up RCD/MCCO breaker now.

Thanks for all your help

Nicola
Old 10-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #7

Plug points in wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolaA View Post
Hi all,

Thanks so much. To answer questions:

Yep, have checked lamp in other plug points and no, isn't working
This indicates the lamp is bad. Maybe the fuse in the plug?

Quote:
Have also checked other electrical devices in plug point where lamp was and they are working.
This would indicate the plug point is fine.
Quote:
No, haven't checked the fuse ... I think I'll get someone else to check that as I haven't got a clue what I'm looking for!

Will look up RCD/MCCO breaker now.

Thanks for all your help

Nicola
No need to check RCD/MCCO. The problem is in the lamp.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #8

Plug points in wall

The thing is, this has happened with two lamps and the last lamp was brand new and had only had it for two months at most. The previous lamp I had had for a couple of years and now isn't working at all after being in that same plugpoint. Also the fixed lights in the wall have also blown so I think we're going to get it looked at as for me it's just too coincidental.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #9

Plug points in wall

Sounds like you have a voltage issue. I don't enough about UK systems to advise you, but if you were in North America I would tell you to check for a loose neutral on your main service.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:07 AM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Plug points in wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolaA View Post
The thing is, this has happened with two lamps and the last lamp was brand new and had only had it for two months at most. The previous lamp I had had for a couple of years and now isn't working at all after being in that same plugpoint. Also the fixed lights in the wall have also blown so I think we're going to get it looked at as for me it's just too coincidental.
Best answer is to call in the electrician in there is a open conneciton somewhere in that circuit I do not know if that room is wired in Ring or Radial format so the best thing to is call them up and they will find a loose connection on the fitting.

Merci,
Marc