Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2008, 02:10 AM   #1

Share |

Please review this diagram

I have a single gange switch in my garage that I want to convert to a three gang. The first switch will control a florecent light in the garage, the second will be for a GFI outlet that I want to place on the rim of my roof for christmas lights, and the third will be a combination switch/GFI outlet. The switch will control a recessed light over my work bench. Does this diagram look ok? I apologize for the crude drawing. The wire nuts will have 5 - 7 wires connected together and I am wondering if this is ok as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Please review this diagram-diagram.jpg  

farmerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:31 AM   #2
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerde View Post
I have a single gange switch in my garage that I want to convert to a three gang. The first switch will control a florecent light in the garage, the second will be for a GFI outlet that I want to place on the rim of my roof for christmas lights, and the third will be a combination switch/GFI outlet. The switch will control a recessed light over my work bench. Does this diagram look ok? I apologize for the crude drawing. The wire nuts will have 5 - 7 wires connected together and I am wondering if this is ok as well.
I would not switch a GFCI personally if I could help it, some of them require a manual reset when power is cut. I would either make sure yours does not require a manual reset or switch after a gfci.

How does the switch work on the GFCI, is the load the switch controals GFCI protected? If it is, then you need to wire the neutral off of the gfci switch. I am not sure why you show 2 hots from the line going to the GFCI outlet? If the switch portion is isolated and you need power for it, then you don't need to run a seperate line, you just pig tail it in the box.
Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:39 AM   #3

The combination gfi switch/outlet are seperate, and yes I do pigtail it, is that a problem?
farmerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:57 AM   #4
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerde View Post
The combination gfi switch/outlet are seperate, and yes I do pigtail it, is that a problem?

Thats the way to do it.

So you have 5 neutrals to tie into a wire nut right? This is fine as long as you are able to properly twist the wires together and use a wire nut rated for 5 wires of the size you use. Strip them long, line up the insulation, twist well, then cut the end off so it is sized to fit in the wire nut.

The 7 wires you mention, is that your ground wire? If so, they are not a big deal, you just twist them all together and leave it a bit long, it is easier than getting the other (current carrying) wires connected properly.

So your not protecting anything else with the GFCI outlet in the switch box correct? The GFCI outlet there is only intended to protect it own outlet, the one in the switch box?

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #5

You may not need two pigtails to the gfci/switch. On the normal non gfci type there is a sw/recept common terminal for one hot wire.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote