Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Please Help New Fridge Issue

Hey Everyone,

I bought a new fridge the other evening, while moving the fridge into the house I broke off the ground prong on the plug. As a brief fix I attached the plug into a 2 prong to 3 prong adapter and have it plugged into the wall (not even sure if this is okay). With the adapter on the plug it is to large to plug into the outlet near the fridge so I have it running across the counter to another plug (had to unplug gas range). Today, I bought a new 3 plong flat plug and was planning on just changing the entire cord for the fridge. I cut the new plug and got down to the 3 wires, I can identify the ground as the green one, my issue is the other 2 are not color coated. How do I know which one is positive and which one is negative? Does it even matter??

Sorry I am a newbie! Thanks

Hiki0921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Resi EC

How are you attaching the new cord?

If you look at the outside of the cord there should be a smooth side and a ribbed side.
The grounded (neutral,white) wire is always identified the ribbed side will be the white wire.

Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #3

Okay there is a ribbed side and a smooth side...to attach I was planning on just fastening the wires once I take off panel behind fridge? (Is this correct??) I am assuming it attaches similar to like speaker wire?? Or does it attach with the little round hooks things? (sorry if that is vague).

Would it be another option to leave the plug as is and just cut off the head of the plug and reattach the new plug? Basically just splice and connect the wires?
Hiki0921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

it is possible to replace the plug and wire like you would a dryer cord.... only way to know for sure would be to trace the wire to where it connects on the circut board. Or you can get a replacement end and cut the cord and use the replacement, just cut about 4 inches from the plug and strip the cables so that you can use an ohm meter to know which cable goes where.
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14

myself I'd go back to the appliance store and purchase a replacement cord. you may void any warranty with your "home made" fix. all you have to do is hook up the new cord to where the original one was. seems simpler to me

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (10-25-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 16

If you actually broke off the ground pin on the plug, you can still plug it into the receptacle it will work normally.

Incidentally the 3 prong to 2 prong adapter will not accomplish anything in this case.

Since you already cut the old plug off, it may be more difficult to figure out which wire is which. The proper procedure would be to cut into the cord at the plug just a little ways at a time and then use the meter to figure out which wire goes to which plug prong.

Also incidentally, you could make a temporary repair by connecting green to ground and either other wire to either other prong and the refrigerator will still work.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-26-2012 at 06:16 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote