DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Please Help Me - 2 Year old electrical problem....

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  daxinarian 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am new to this forum. I searched and found that no one has addressed this issue.

Long story short - My Cable is messed up! I have a coaxial Cable that has melted behind the wall.

Short story long - Two years ago we were doing some work at the house, installing a Tile Backsplash in the kitchen. The backsplash came out great! We had the breaker off but the disposal was not on that breaker. We did not know that and arced over the Disposal with the dead breaker. It popped the fuse for the disposal.

Ever since then we have had an awful hum through our cable and humbars on the screen.

I have had $3000 dollars worth of electrical work done to the home including replacing the out side meter box, breaker panel, several different plugs and switches. We have had 3 different electricians out for different opinions. I can't even count how many times the cable company (Comcast) has been out. I have used all of my vacation days on this issue. :(

Cable says it's electrical, Electricians say it's cable.

The cable guys have run cable from the main box to the house and it still hums.

Now I am concerned because the coaxial plate that comes out of the wall has melted and the cable behind the wall is melted. I am stumped. :huh:

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Also I live in a condo.

THere may be info someone may need to answer this question that I have left out so please ask.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hollis

See less See more
#2 ·
The melted cable should be replaced. I would be concerned as to why the cable wire melted. It should never have any type of voltage or current on it that would even come close to making it warm never mind melting it.

Hum bars are electrical noise. Try turning off breakers (except the TV of course) and see if one of them going off clear the problem. If it does then look check all the devices connected to that circuit.

#3 ·
I would try to run a cable outside the wall temporarilly just to see if the problem went away.

Like Joe said I would like to find the cause of the melting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.