Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #1

Share |

Please Help, I need soldering advice.

Hi, I ripped a very thin wire, out of an electronic circuit board. The power still works, so it is not dead, however it is non functioning.

I have already stripped the plastic covering of the wire that was disconnected, and I would like to solder it back to the other end. However when I opened up the container that the wire was connected to, the end where the wire feeds into the device is fully covered in solder.

How do I get around this, to reattach the separated wire?

Here is a picture, below, the black wire is the disconnected one. And the silver bubble

tdotwire8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #2

Do you have a soldering gun? If so, just heat the solder with the gun and reattach the wire…

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
Do you have a soldering gun? If so, just heat the solder with the gun and reattach the wire…
Do I need to use tinning flux?

Also do I have to connect the two wires visually or can I just attach the detached wire to the now melted bubble which is engulfing the other end of the wire?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #4

I haven’t soldered in quite awhile but what I remember is that the tip of the gun should have a little bit of solder on it and when you touch the other peace that has solder on it you will melt it and then just apply the wire to it. As long as the bond is there you shouldn’t have a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to epson For This Useful Post:
tdotwire8 (01-05-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
I haven’t soldered in quite awhile but what I remember is that the tip of the gun should have a little bit of solder on it and when you touch the other peace that has solder on it you will melt it and then just apply the wire to it. As long as the bond is there you shouldn’t have a problem.
Thanks, dude, thought I was stuck.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #6

No problem….
Old 01-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #7

I hope you're not using a 100/200+W gun; you'll tear the circuit board up! 25W should be preferred.
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsparksalot View Post
I hope you're not using a 100/200+W gun; you'll tear the circuit board up! 25W should be preferred.
OK, will do, thanks.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
Master Electrician

Use rosin core solder only.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #10

Press the soldering iron tip against just the bared end of the wire and melt a little new solder so the wire end becomes shiny silver. This process is called "tinning".

Then melt the blob of solder and bury the wire end (if that is where the wire ripped off of). Hold the wire absolutely steady until the blob cools and solidifies.

About not using a high powered soldering iron, it is very important not to heat up the blob or other parts of the circuit board too much.

Do not use lead free solder, plumbing solder, silver solder, or plumbing solder paste or flux. Electronic solder is 60/40 (or 62/38) which means about 40% lead. They do make 50/50 rosin core solder but its melting point is higher than 60/40 increasing the danger of damaging a circuit board.

Be careful that the blob does not spread and cover other nearby parts of the board, This will cause an immediate short circuit. If some of a really round bulby blob gets wiped off completely, it does not have to be refilled provided that all the wires previously in it are still sealed in place.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-05-2011 at 02:37 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
I ask the impossible!

One other trick to it, try to put heat into the wire then bring it to the circuit board and use that to melt the solder on the circuit board. If you melt the solder on the circuit board then plunge a cold wire into it, that will give you a cold solder joint that will tend to fall apart. And if you try to heat the wire after you'll be putting more heat into the circuit board and potentially damaging components.

Kinda like what Alan said~

WillK is offline   Reply With Quote