So I am looking to install fans/light in my upstairs bedrooms. There is no existing light in the room but there is a switch that controls top plug outlet across the room. Was wondering if it hard to install a new fan/light fixture in ceiling with new wiring so that the switch control the fan/light instead if the outlet. I am pretty handy so far i have remolded my bathroom and backyard as well as install crown molding. Just never done electrical before. How do i go about doing this start to finish. Thanks
1st question is does the switch really only control the TOP part of the wall receptacle ? it should shut off both top and bottom but it is possible this could be so.
my guess is the switch is supposed to control a floor lamp plugged into the outlet so when you enter the room you can turn on a light without going across the room to turn on the lamp.
You should get a book on electrical wiring first and look into how to wire lights and receptacles just so you can be safe and not get hurt.
You will have to pull wires so you need to understand where the wires should be and how to get them there. A book again is good to read up on.
There are different ways to wire a light a switch and a receptacle. Search the topic and learn how since you are going to DIY you need to know because you can get electrocuted or put in bad wiring and start a fire so become a well informed DIY'r and then if you get into a jam you will have a questions to ask rather than ask "tell me how to do this from start to finish".
It will be easy once you check it out. You may have some challenges with pulling wire get yourself a snake.
Good luck! It is not that hard once you get to understand the basics.