Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
walt1122

Share |

Placement of meter pan?

Hi All, We are just starting to build our dream home in Tennessee. Money is tight so we are just putting in a garage with an apartment above now, and hope to some day build our retirement home. They just ran the primary electric underground and have set up the transformer about 100 feet away from the proposed building site. Because we are doing the complete job, house and garage with apartment now we are running the secondary into the garage where we plan on having the meter and pan then branch off from it to the garage now and the house later. Question I have is do I really need to have the big ugly pan and meter on the side of the house. We have a very large pan on our current house. Electric company brought in 320A so we could have two 150A breaker panels. The pan outside this house has to be 2 feet by 4 feeet right on the front of the house! I'm assuming the new garage pan will be equally large and ugly!! I thought I read somewhere that the pan could be placed at the transformer?? and then the electric cable run underground into the house to a junction box like I have here. So later I can run it to the house. Probably a pipe dream but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

Walt
walt1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #2

Placement of meter pan?

The location of the meter varies by location, but in most places it is up to the utility company.

You are best off calling them with your questions. See if they can have someone come out and discuss the situation with you.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
walt1122

Placement of meter pan?

thanks jwhite, I have a builder down there who is handling the project. I'm here in NJ and I thought it was better to use local talent as it is so far away. I will check with the electric company tomorrow. I just googled them and got a 800 number. I came here to see if it were possible to do before I discussed it with the builder. But the electric company is a good place to start.

thanks again
walt1122 is offline   Reply With Quote