Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Placard for back-fed panel?

While I did pass my inspection, my inspector wanted me to make some changes on my water pipe bonding. I had 1 wire going from the panel, then to both sides of the meter ending on the hot pipe out of the water heater. He wanted me to just cut that wire after the house side of the meter then use the wire to go bond the hot pipe to cold pipe to the gas pipe at the water heater. No problem there I understand and it's done.

His other condition is he wanted me to put a placard at both the old meter and new meter and old and new panel stating that there is a backfed panel. He said the POCO would most likely connect the new 200A panel before disconnecting the 100A panel, and he wanted to be sure they were aware there is the potential that the load side at the 200A socket could potentially be live.

The POCO isn't making the connections tommorrow, but they are sending someone out to look at the setup. Is there a sign I can buy at an electric store, or is this just a piece of paper with wording like "CAUTION: BACK-FED PANEL"

When I searched for backfed warning placard, the search results all related to solar power set-ups.

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Oui.,

You can make a tempory sign to warn someone that is backfeed source so they will know.

Merci,
Marc

Old 06-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

If the old panel is going to be removed, I'd just write on it with a sharpie in big letters. Otherwise, a hand-written note on a piece of paper duct taped to it should be fine. It's a good idea.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #4

This may help: http://www.mysafetysign.com/Safety-S...KU-S-1155.aspx
jrepp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #5

We solar contractors have to get placards made up all the time. We use trophy shops. Each placard is about $5 when ordered in bulk so yours would probably be twice that. Instead of calling trophy shops first, perhaps call a local solar contractor and ask which trophy shop they use, this way the trophy shop operator is already familiar with the setup, letter heights, et cetera.

Blue Skies, Jeff
That Solar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote