DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Pigtail a 4 wire outlett

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bbman 
#1 ·
Hey guys - first time post here so i'll try to be as detailed as I can. I have 30 yr old aluminum wiring throughout my new house and i've been upgrading here and there as we do some renovations. I am not going to be renovating the main floor however so an electrician advised I just pigtail the outlets as a cheaper option to replacing the wiring. I had him do a few (for $15 an outlet) and it didn't seem that hard. I went and got anti-oxident paste, copper wiring, new outletts, covers and marretts rated for aluminum to copper.

I have done a few in the house (light switches and outlets) but have a question about outlets that have 4 wires plus a ground all terminated at the outlet. To tail these off, i find it very difficult to squeeze 5 single pigtails (this is 5 marrettes, and 5 additional lenghts of copper wire) into the existing box. My question is - Am i supposed to be doing 5 pig tails? or should i be doing 3 by tailing both Black aluminum wires to a single copper, and both White aluminum wires to a single copper then terminating just the 2 copper wires and ground at the new outlett?

This would cut down on 2 marrets & 2 copper tails and would make it alot easier to get everything back into the box.

Thanks for any help!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.