Photoelectric Sensor Tripping Breaker - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Photoelectric sensor tripping breaker

Hi all,

Trying to replace the photoelectric sensor for my girlfriend's walkway lamp post. The lamp above the door appears to be connected to the same power line. With the unit removed the lamp above the door will turn on just fine. After installing the unit the breaker continuously trips (will not stay in "on" position). When I first opened the box the unit that was there when she moved in was disconnected, so this may have been a standing issue with the previous owner, and the disconnected it so that the lamp above the door would work (?). I did some searching around and even emailed the manufacturer (Touch and Glow, model EZ-347), but couldn't find anything.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

Seth09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

Connect black power lead in lamp post to photoelectric switch line hot terminal. Connect black light fixture lead in lamp post to switch load hot terminal. Connect together light fixture white, power cable white (neutral) and a lead to the switch neutral terminal. If you still have problems it is possible the photo switch or more likely the light fixture could be defective .

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-10-2011 at 09:30 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I believe this is precisely how I have it wired. Would doing something like checking the current or resistance between the hot wire and the fixture do anything towards diagnosing?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Before you try to install the photo sensor, get the circuit working with the switch. Do you think the switch originally controlled both lamps?
Where will the sensor eventually be installed, on the post with that lamp or above the door with that lamp?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #5

The sensor is to the right of the door, directly beneath the above-door lamp. I'm pretty sure that the light switch that controls the above-door lamp also controls walkway lamp post, and have tried all kinds of switch-flipping variations to make sure. The above-door lamp currently functions without the photosensor installed, I just have the wires capped and the hole where the photosensor goes is tapped over.

Tags
photoelectric cell , photoelectric sensor